Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My badge seems to have bio-degraded over the winter! All the blue/red paint has flaked off, leaving a silver disc with SAAB logo etching. Anyone know where I could get a replacement without having to pay through the nose?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by mgm13:
[qb]My badge seems to have bio-degraded over the winter! All the blue/red paint has flaked off, leaving a silver disc with SAAB logo etching. Anyone know where I could get a replacement without having to pay through the nose? [/qb][/b]
Sure, try a scrapyard. But the cost of the badge from a dealer is only a tenner or so , so why bother going to all that trouble of getting a secondhand one when the brand new item won't break the bank

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
There is a myth that Saab parts are outrageously expensive - and that myth is being perpetrated by people on this (and other) boards.

True - some Saab parts are particularly expensive, but not all are. In fact, compared to other vehicles I think a lot of people would be surprised at how reasonable some Saab parts are.

·
Registered
346 Posts
John. I agree, as with other maufacturers some parts can be purchased direct from Saab at a much lower cost than patent parts. However the parts that are needed to make the car run/run properly are at a premium. you will find this in any business. I have investigated this quite extensively and the manufacturers answer to all cases is " you need it, you pay for it2. I have several companies and we come across it all the time.

·
Registered
552 Posts
John, pair of front shock absorbers Elkparts (Sachs) £147, Saab (Sachs), £360.
Turbo bypass valve Bosch £21, Saab £33.
Front headlamp glass (admittedly several years ago), Indie £80, Saab £15.
Moral: check Saab prices first then ring around

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'll go along with DaveS comments (and some of the others). As well as the Saab I also run an old Merc. and a VW Golf. When it comes to getting dealer parts, the VW is by far the most expensive. Agreed, Saab can be pretty pricy - but wow VW take the biscuit. Interestingly MB seem to be quite reasonable. Alright flame me for this comment, but that's my experience.
It's worth shopping around, including the main dealers on your list.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by gelcoat:
[qb]John. I agree, as with other maufacturers some parts can be purchased direct from Saab at a much lower cost than patent parts. However the parts that are needed to make the car  run/run properly are at a premium. [/qb][/b]
gelcoat, I do not disagree with you. I said: "True - some Saab parts are particularly expensive, but not all are. " Some stuff from Saab can be reasonably priced - but many people think it is all expensive

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by /john:
[qb]many people think it is  all expensive  
 [/qb][/b]
I used to. Now I always check the dealer price first. My local dealers' parts guys don't seem to mind and I do buy a fair few parts from them, but by no means all.

Of the three places I have bought clear indicator repeaters from, the cheapest was a Saab dealer.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]e-bay link...
[/qb][/b]
No No No No!!! I think you will find that badge will be too large for a 9000 but it will fit silver-saab's 9-5 when he bids again right at the end I do have the correct badge for the 9000 and the part no: is 4522884

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Agreed - VW dealer parts are way more expensive than Saab parts... just horrendous! And the labour rate is pretty much the same. I don't know why Saabs got this reputation when VW's arguably deserve it more

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.