Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. After finally removing my fuel filter and fitting a new one, I decided to go ahead and replace my shock absorbers. The top two nuts and the nut nearest the brake came off easily, but the long bolt itself that connects the anti-roll bar and the shock absorber only unscrewed after I got a breaker bar on it. I then got a ratchet after it and after a while I realized the bolt was just spinning, not unscrewing at all. Anyone thats replaced their shocks have any suggestions on how to get this bolt out? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yup, Theses bolts are always a B**ch to get of, as most ppl will tell you

I ended up cutting them off and replacing them with new bolts and bushes from Saab, and then coated them with copper grease so that they didn't stick.

You may have more luck if you soak them overnight with WD40 or similar.

Damian

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well, like Damian says, it's a real b***h. The bolt usually gets so corroded that it welds itself to the inside of the metal bushing contained in the rubber bushing on the rear ARB. I've tried punching them out with an impact tip but with no success - there's just too much play with the rubber bushing to have the impact be effective. What I ended up doing was cutting the bolt in two spots - before and after the ARB bushing. Only after this, was I able to remove the bolt from the shock mounts on the axle. The copper grease is something that should be done on these when they leave the factory, IMHO - how much extra in cost or effort can it be? Make sure the grease gets applied to the inside of the metal bushing that's on ARB bushing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.