Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so after my last flippant topic I went to the car park to look at my babe, and someone has rammed into her. they have pushed in the bodywork at the rear of the driverside rear wheel under the petrol filler this is the part that has the double skin for the air outlet. someone recently brought me a panel beating kit, (noidea how to use it, hammers and anvil shaped things) any ideas how I can repair this dent.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi Gelcoat

If my own DIY panelbeating is anything to go by (NOT a pretty sight), it might be worth investing a little time in asking around as to anyone having seen who the culprit was, you know - bored IT types watching it all happen outside their window.

Good luck
David

PS. Did you get the alternator fixed??

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Difficult one this without seeing the damage,It all depends on how the panel has been damaged.But if only small it could be repaired with a hammer and dolly.If you are serious about having a go yourself Haynes do a bodywork manual,I don't know anything about how good it is but you could see if your local library has a copy to get some tips.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Saabman, the damage is'nt too bad, what is giving me a problem is that the arch is double skined to form the air outlet, with the heater fan on, you can feel the air coming out of the split. The outside skin has pushed in, do I split it even further to get in and bash it out and then spot weld the seam together again. or is there a craft dodge.if I can get my digital camera to work on this blo*dy 2000 server I will post a pic

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
No no no do not split the seam any more! you will more than likely stretch the metal.can you not gain access to the rear of the panel? maybe by removing the inner trim from the boot/rear quarter and push the dent out? did you get a Spoon in your kit? Looks like a wide wooden spoon type thing but metal? Used for gaining access to hard to reach places,if so try easing the dint out with this from the rear and use your hammer to tap the dint flat from the outside with the spoon pressed hard up against the rear of the panel where you are hitting it.
Let me know if I've not been clear or you have any other questions.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Saabman but maybe I did not explain properly. if you look at the rear wheel straight on. and then pan to the left (rearwards) side of the lower wheel arch. the dent is about 4" rearwards. behind the outside panel is a another panel that is joined to the front panel to form the interior exhaust air outlet. So I cannot get directly to the rear of the outside panel, without splitting the two skins. as it is at the bottom it is below the boot base level. hence my dilema. any suggestions more than welcome. or in other words HELP!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts