Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
body: removing the classic´s mastic

hi

Has anybody any good experience/tips, HOW to remove the mastic from underneath the classic´s bodyshell (wheelwhells included) most easily and sufficiently? specially fender arcs and all spot-welded joints (sills-to-bottom, wheelwells-to-bottom etc). Mechanical methods are quite timeconsumable.

Any experience?
Any tips?

regards
part

·
Registered
343 Posts
Re: body: removing the classic´s mastic

When you say mastic , do you mean underseal? If it is underseal then ,although very messy and has its slight risks, i use petrol soaked rags.You can use thinners but you run the risk of taking the paint off as well. In a well ventelated area wearing rubber gloves and eye protection I first use a wire brush to "score" the surfaces, then after covering all rubber areas with thick plastic (to protect) liberally coat the area using a paint brush dipped in petrol (cold engine, no smoking etc etc). You will see the underseal immediatly soften, scrape with a plastic scraper and repeat on all the areas that are thick or you missed. If you want the area totally clean then use a soaked rag and it will clean like new or will expose all the hidden rust. I did the whole of the underside of my 2 stroke 96 like this, including the inside of the wheel arches and inside of the wings. It took a day to do one wing with a scraper and paint stripper and another day to do ALL of the rest with petrol!!!!DO NOT USE THE WIRE BRUSH on the wetted area as you could cause a spark and set light to the underseal...one way to get rid of it,but not reccomended!

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Re: body: removing the classic´s mastic

If you want to remove all the underseal, I think you'll be there a while with petrol or other solvents, better to sand blast or bead blast? But why would you want to do this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts