Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] .. Blew the head gasket yesterday eve, had to get towed 30 miles and navigate passed a road block
Mind you I did give a scooby driver somthing to think about before it blew Don't think he quite realised a big luxury car could shift so much.
And thanks to some bushes from ELK, it went round coners pretty well!

While it's off the road ('96 CSE 2.3 FPT) im going to get the head flowed, But going to strip it my self.
Question : Ive not done one of these engines b4 - any thing I should look out for ? ie should I get the head skimmed as well, and what other parts should I replace?
And does any one know if I can get hold of a higher performance head gasket in the UK? I Know Sweedish Dynamics do one but i'd prefer to get it from the UK.

Any advise gratefully recieved.

Damo - not a happy bunny

·
Registered
413 Posts
In my opinion you should not have the head skimmed unless it is necessary. To ascertain if it is necessary you should have it checked for flatness / distortion by an engineering shop.
Can't help with any of you other questions though.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Worth checking the timing chain, tensioner & guides, plus sprokets for camshaft and balance shafts (expensive), depends on current milage and how long you intend to keep the car.
Use JB weld to fill the block if its pitted around the water passages.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks chaps.

Im costing it all up now - eek Whats that common phrase? "HOW MUCH!!!"

Timing chain looks good,not had a good look yet but Ive never heard any suspect noises from that area.

Im going to get the head off (oh er) soon and get it blue printed and or skimmed if need be.
Im hoping nothing else was damadged in the process , I was doing a tun up the M5 when it happended!

Adrian do you recomend JB weld over skimming?

Many thanks guys

DamoB

·
Registered
763 Posts
Recommend you replace the following:
Timing & balance shaft chains & sprockets, tensioners for both, chain guides for both, crank oil seal & oil pump O ring, serpentine drive belt, idler pulley & belt tensioner pulley and the head gasket sets.
Others you may consider are water pump, alternator regulator/bushes, metal pipes from turbo to water pump & oil filter housing (tend to corrode).
Can be done DIY with a lot of patience and forward planning! Definately not a weekend job! Be very careful with the exhaust manifold nuts....studs can break in the head....on my car 2 broke! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
The JB weld is for filling any pits in the block around the water passages - see Townsend Imports site for the Saab bulletin on this. Skimming is really for the head only. If the engine overheated then a skim is usually a must otherwise if everything looks flat with a straight edge dont bother. If you do go for a skim (only £30ish) check the head height is OK - it may have been skimmed already a few times?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again mutungi, Adrian & ppl

All noted, any one know of a mortgage lender that'll cover that lot!

I might have to bite the bullett and take to St Davids saab cos I can't afford to be off the road for too long.

Speak to ya soon

Damo

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Err yeah right

Yeah nice thought but i can't afford that sort of cash.

Ive decided to take the car to a local garage (I know one of the machanics and he's good)
Can't afford to do the head flowing business just yet.

Hopfully back on the road hassling scoobies next week.

Damo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts