Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996, 2.3t (eco) 9000 CSE.
Ok, so my exhaust starts to blow, nothing too bad but becoming icreasingly noticeable. An ispection underneath reveals that the noise is coming from the short pipe, about 1'6" long at the end of the down pipe under the floopan. This pipe is covered in mesh, so, i presume it is the catalyst. The mesh is broken and definitely emitting a blowing noise and a smell too! I believe the replacement catalyst is an arm and a leg, so, ignoring the legal issues, does anyone make a replacement straight through pipe? further is there any harm is simply disconnecting the catalyst electrical connections?
Thanks in advance
Alun

·
Registered
330 Posts
Alun,
I think from memory (slightly shakey from copious amounts of jamesons) the mesh part is part of the downpipe,the cat on yours should be covered by a heat shield,top & bottom.
Straight thru' replacements pipes are out there (the turbos boys will help u on that score )
so u may just be able to get away with a downpipe
G.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Isn't this 'mesh' bit the flexible part of the down part assembly, the cat is the small 'expansion' chamber a bit further along the exhaust system.
See the Abbott and Speedparts websites for photos and drawings of the similar performance versions of these parts.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Alun, the '96 was the first year that the cat was built into the downpipe - it actually sits under the sump. What you are describing is further back, almost under the floor, and is the type of flexible pipe that was fitted to the '96-on 9000. You shouldn't replace this with a solid pipe, even if you find one, as this part is designed to accommodate the to-and-fro movement of the engine to avoid fracturing parts of the exhaust. The front part of the exhaust system is fixed to a moving engine, while the rear part is fixed to stationary bodywork. Something has to give, and it is the flexible pipe.

One thing to check, though, is the engine mountings. If one or more of these fail, then the flexible pipe can suffer as the engine drops a little and causes the joint to kink visibly. If this has happened, then a replacement pipe will also fail after a while unless the mounting(s) is (are) replaced.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have a 96 2.3TCSE which may not have the same set up as the LPT but on mine the cat is in one piece with the down pipe. There is a short flexy section which joins it to the main box.
Last year I had to replace the the flexy section because like Alun's it was blowing at one end. It cost around £70 from Saab and was very easy to fit. If you do it yourself see that you cut the nuts off the cat and the rearward section - if you shear the studs you will be in deep sh*t.

When replacing mine I found that the bracket which supports the cat had fractured where it is attached to the rear of the crankcase. This is apparently quite common and may well be what caused the flexible section to fail. It is made from a very brittle steel and failed where it is bent at 90 degrees to mate with the block. So make sure you check the bracket when a new flexy is fitted.
I had mine welded and it is still intact so far.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Derek:
[qb]I have a 96 2.3TCSE which may not have the same set up as the LPT but on mine the cat is in one piece with the down pipe.[/qb][/b]
My '96 2.0LPT has the same arrangement. I believe ti was the same on all '96-on 9000 turbos. Don't know about non-turbos.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts