Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Blow Hard

Tags
blow hard
2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  briancatt 
#1 ·
Finally got around to fixing my dodgy blower motor.

It had needed a good "thump" on the fish tank with ever increasing ferocity to get it going, which didn't really add much to the driving experience.

The 4 way connector to the sensor unit had actually melted in parts, and I had to destroy it to get it off.
I'm guessing it was a faulty sensor drawing too much juice, so replaced it with a spare I had lying around.
Had to bodge the wiring with a bit of soldering and cable-ties...

But now have plenty of hot air, so no more steamy windows on those cold, damp days :)

#2 ·
For others re blower malfunction. If you have an intermittent blower i bet its this connector to the resistor pack and associated heat sink in the air inlet duct - its not a sensor, its a resistive load controlled by the blower control or ACC.

. I had this, it happened a couple of times and then worked again. I didn't thump anything, but I'm anti violent and New Labour may have passed a stealth trap and fine law against car abuse..

Its not taking too much current, its a rubbish connector at the Lucas c.1960 level. Once its contacts corrode it progressively builds up heat and more corrosion and eventually melts the plastic and oxides the connector so it no longer conducts (like when mains plugs cremate with tha nasty smell. Its rarely used and its usually old age so you just rebuild it, or even hard wire it as it will probaly go to the breakers before it needs attention again - unless the blower or matrix fail, god forbid.

Same problem happened with my son's Alfa GTV, in this case the assembly is in an airway in the passenger footwell (RHD). probably a problem across many cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.