Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was hoping somebody might have some suggestions for clutch bleeding on a 96 9K CS.

flex hose went last night, got a fix from an industrial hydraulics supplier for £5 and put it back together tonight.

re-assembly took about 20 mins, but bleeding took nearly 2 hrs, not sure what I was doing wrong, but made sure res was continually topped up and used normal bleeding techniques.

Finally resorted to putting a long length of hose on the bleed nipple sucking the fluid through (made me wretch quite violently). This seemed to get it started. Then about 20 mins of solid 2 man bleeding (release-press, tighten-lift...) I have finally got about 70% action back (enough for it to work consistently.

How do I get the last bit done?

Thoughts appreciated (not on the wretch bit though).

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
The preferred method is by suction (although it's not recommended to do this orally
). That's how a dealer would do it, but they have a special tool. I have heard of people adapting a bicycle pump as a suction pump. Second best method is by pressure bleeder (such as Gunson's EZ-Bleed).

The 9000 clutch is notoriously difficult to bleed properly by pedal-pumping. I use an EZ-Bleed for all my clutch and brake work.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I have a homemade pressure genuine saab bleeder consisting of

1 saab radiator cap
1 extra rubber radiator cap washer
1 schaeder valve placed through cap
1 bicycle pump.

Hear making an appearance after bleeding the clutch of the 9000 Carly.

Andrew

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have also used an EZ-Bleed or similar, though not for quite a while.

Attaches to the spare wheel and the pressure is used to push the brake fluid from a supplied container into the reservoir. Meant I did both rear brakes on a previous car in 10 mins!

Skiddins

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi Pete,
I live in Rainford and have the 'special' cap with a valve in that you are more than welcome to borrow or if you want to bring the car to me, then I'll help you bleed it.
I'm only making this offer as you are a fellow 'Bluenose'!!
Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave,

go pat Rainford on way to work(Skem via rat run at end of news lane), and home. Was looking at the "special" kit and was wondering whether it pushed fluid back into the cylinder and onto the reservoir and where you put the fresh fluid to start with. Thought it needed to go from res to cylinder?

Would be grateful to have a butchers and then I can make one up myself.

Car made it all the way to London and back today, but seemed to have to go further and further sown the pedal as the return jouney got later!

Cheers,
Pete

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
by the way, the typos ar ecoz I've been up since 4 this morning, got stuck just past milton keynes on M1 going south and got stuck at Stafford coming home on M6. several paracetamol and acouple of beers later, I'm off to bed!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi Pete,
Sorry for not replying sooner but I was down at Charlton last night and didn't get home until 03:00 this morning. What a goal from the young man!!. Anyway, drop me a mail on [email protected] and we can exchange phone numbers, but If you pass News Lane you MUST have passed my house at the top of Hydes Brow, the one with 4 SAABS on the path!!!
Dave

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shame about the penalties, though. IF only we could get 2 pens per game, wouldn't the season be easier!!

Will go to hotmail in a minute and send a mail.

I get to news lane via the wheatsheaf end, so possibly don't go past your road.

I'm out to Czech Republic for a couple of days work tomorrow & Friday, so best if call is at weekend.

Thanks for the help so far, you might be able to give me a few pointers for getting a snapped exhaust manifold stud out - wasted all of Monday trying to get the ****** out using right angle drill with mandrel, just kept having to re-grind the drill bit.

Cheers,

Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts