Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used their pads or disks?

I'm still pondering about whether to go for 4 pot calipers or stick with 2 pots and upgrade disk/pads.

I realise that a lot of people have gone for the Brembo/Ferodo option with their existing 2 pots, but I would be interested in those that have had good results with other disk/pad combos. Also interested in anyone that has used EBC Turbogroove disks on their Saab as I am just about to fit them on my other car.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have used the Balck Diamond discs on my Ur quattro turbo. I used them with the Kevlar fast road pads. I went for the cross drilled and grooved. They work well but with the quattro bends are not to be slowed for.

I used them with stainless lines and Audi twin pot calipers.

Not much help for a Saab installation , but I would say tht they are of good quality and do not rust when left wet--like the Saab ones.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I have the Black Diamonds on my 9-5 they look nice, are they any better than OEM, not really! But then I only drive around town. The best improvement was using these inconjunction with Pagid Fast Road Pads, they really did help!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi I have the Black Diamond groove discs with ferodo pads on my CS Carly and they work well hot and cold.
But under hard driving for long periods they can fade a little but still perform reasonably well at high speeds.

I think the good for the money.

Alll the best.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgive my ignorance! I automatically assumed they were 2 pot, Andrew.

Anyone tried Brembo disks/Pagid fast road pads on a 9000?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am currently using the Black Diamond cross-drilled and grooved disks with Pagid Pads on my 9000 Aero.

They do seem better than standard but are very noisy and prone to vibration. Brake fade was a problem but partially cured by fitting stainless braided hoses.

I do have concerns about longevity - approx 1year/30k miles and the disks have about had it - radial cracks around the cross-drilling vents.

am about to try a different set-up but not sure what yet...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
hmm - I'm in much the same circumstance. I need new discs and pads pretty soon(ish)

Pagid fast road are the pads I'll go for (want DS2500 and although they are 'better', I dont think they are as good value given that the Pagids are already considerably better than std)

Discs: Was looking at the Black diamonds too, but as with most of these things, its pros and cons. To be quite honest, I dont think I drive the car hard enough to need grooved discs, so Ill probably end up with the Brembos. I could be persuaded though but wouldnt go for X drilled - maybe black diamond grooved only might cure some of the issues seen by David T?

I havent tried anything yet and all comments based on stuff I've read on this site....

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
David,

I've not heard of fitting stainless hoses helping brake fade problems previously. If your old ones were worn and soft and tending to balloon more under pressure this would only give a slightly spongy feeling to the pedal.

Brake fade nomrally happens through the pads/discs and or fluid getting too hot. Pad/disc fade normally comes on gradually, whereas fluid boil is quite rapid.

I am not surprised to hear of cracks coming from the cross drilled holes. Having researched it I have come to the conclusion that the nominal cooling benefit from cross drilling is more than offset by the weakening in the structural integrity of the disc. They will not take abuse in the same way as regular or grooved discs can. If you want quiet, efficient braking choose good quality OEM discs (eg Brembo) and a non-gassing pad (this eliminates part of the need for grooves) such as the Ferodo DS2500. Use the serach facility and there's lots of info on this been posted previously.

[edit]
faero- check your suppliers for prices. Try Circuit supplies listed in this thread. They're very competetive.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I've had black diamond discs front drilled/slotted) and back (drilled) for a couple of years now. No complaints, but would recommend their Predator pads to compliment them, I put Green Stuff on and the pads give a very wooden feel after a few thousand miles but they still do the business when you press hard. They are only noisy when you are braking from high speeds in very short distances.
They are also less expensive than most of the other makes, but shop around.
I've just bought a full AP braking system for the front brakes on my car including 17" wheels all round for pricely sum of £400...which I thought was a good deal.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I've just bought a full AP braking system for the front brakes on my car including 17" wheels all round for pricely sum of £400...which I thought was a good deal.[/b]
Err... where!! said the man who's cooked his front brakes and alloys quite badly (can you say melted rubber dustcaps and now brown laquered alloys.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
About 6 months ago a guy was selling a 9000 for around £600 with full Koni suspension, 17" 5 spoke Raceline (?) alloys and AP brake conversion on ebay and some other place. I sent him a message saying if he didn't sell I'd have all the above bits off him for the price of the car....I hadn't the space for another car, he's kept the Koni setup for the time being but I paid him £400 for the wheels and brakes.
I was very lucky, right place, right time!
I'll be moving the black diamond stuff over onto the wifes 900 Carlsson with my black 16" cross spokes which I think will look smart on a red car.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
A good deal?? Sale of the Century more like!!
List price on the AP kit alone is £1300 plus VAT!!!

Jammy git...

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I'll be moving the black diamond stuff over onto the wifes 900 Carlsson with my black 16" cross spokes which I think will look smart on a red car.  [/b]
Yes, My carly looked very veery nice on 16" cross spokes..

Andrew

1 - 16 of 16 Posts