Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My silly question is - Are Black Diamond brake discs actually black? If so, do they stay black and rust free?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Disclaimer: I don't actually own these, this is just general brake info.

I don't believe that, even if they are black, they would stay that way. The friction material on the pad reacts specifically to the cast iron in the discs.

It's mollecules bond with it in one way or another, and these bonds are specific and are constantly breaking and re-forming during braking.

It would be unlikely that a pad not specifically designed for cast iron (which more or less all pads are) would work effectively with any other material.

I have seen companies coat the friction surface of the disk. This coating typically wears off, and until that point the braking is "less than stellar" ...

But someone with the discs will come along soon to tell you if they are or are not coated on the friction surface.

They may be coated elsewhere to preven rust in other places. That is what KVR does to their discs I believe.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chers Adrian, I'll wait and see what others have to say.
What time is it across there in California, thought you'd all still be asleep!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I believe they're just anodised.

The coating will wear off when they've been used, leaving them looking the same as other discs.

As Adrian said everything not in contact with the pads should stay black and hopefully free of rust .

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
My slotted KVR discs are cad plated black. The area where the pad sweeps is of course, natural metal silver color. The rest has remained black and rust free, so I would say it is safe to assume that the black diamond discs may behave the same way.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by Eric (9-3 Hirsch):
[qb]My slotted KVR discs are cad plated black.  The area where the pad sweeps is of course, natural metal silver color.  The rest has remained black and rust free, so I would say it is safe to assume that the black diamond discs may behave the same way. [/qb][/b]
My (grooved) Black Diamonds are indeed behaving the same way

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I've got zinc anodised disks on my Lotus and they seem to stay totally rust free. Brembo's certainly don't, but they seem to work well enough.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got zinc anodised disks on my Lotus and they seem to stay totally rust free. Brembo's certainly don't, but they seem to work well enough.[/b]
JezF, what make are the zinc anodised discs on your Lotus? I don't do many miles in my Aero, only about 5K a year, so rusting is a bit of a problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have just tried to fit new Brembo discs and Ferodo DS2500 Pads but the vibration on initial application is unbearable. Have tried swapping pads around but no improvement. In desperation installed new set of SAAB pads. Result no vibration. Is this a typical problem or have I got a rogue set of pads?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
David,

That's the setup I'm running on my 2 9000's and neither of them have any judder or vibration.

I take it you've got them hot and bedded everything in properly?

Andrew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by David T:
[qb]the vibration on initial application is unbearable[/qb][/b]
I would suggest that the vibration may be due to a small amount of dirt trapped between the disc and the hub. However, the standard pads curing the problem has thrown me a bit...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Originally posted by David T:
[qb]Have just tried to fit new Brembo discs and Ferodo DS2500 Pads but the vibration on initial application is unbearable. Have tried swapping pads around but no improvement. In desperation installed new set of SAAB pads. Result no vibration. Is this a typical problem or have I got a rogue set of pads? [/qb][/b]
got the brembo HC and ds2500s on my 9-5...had no judder on them atall....although i did follow the 'bedding' process very carefully

1 - 17 of 17 Posts