Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been some posts about this subject, but has anyone actually driven cars with each of these suspension kits - enough to form an opinion about which is best etc?
I intend to fit one or the other, but the price difference makes you think.

·
Registered
276 Posts
As well as how the car drives, it depends on how much work you want to do to fit the new dampers. Konis are inserts that require you to cut up your existing front struts whereas Bilsteins are supplied as complete front struts.

I've got Bilsteins on mine with stndard Aero springs and am quite happy with the way it rides. I got mine from ECP in Leicester and the set of 4 sport dampers cost me £350 back in April 03.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aeroboy,
Cutting up struts seems little savage - are you saying the inserts don't actually fit the struts properly? What do you actually have to do?

Leon
I got the impression the Konis from Abbott had "special" settings - as if Abbott had developed their own settings and that was why they charged so much. I assumed any other Konis you buy have "other" settings, presumably developed by Koni (just like Bilsteins have settings develped by their engineers).

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Koni's are strut inserts designed to fit in the (modified)oem strut
it sound a lot worse than it is and the design allows some innacuracy in the cutting (thank goodness !!) and is relatively easy to do
but the koni directions are cr4p.
I paid £350 for the complete kit including springs from motorsport world...
the springs are definitely on the hard end of the spectrum...
The Bilsteins come as the complete strut so a bit easier to put on..but the damping is non adjustable so you pays your money ...
I find I do adjust them quite often as the mood takes me ...

·
Registered
235 Posts
The Bilstein spring and shock kits seem quite good value.

But, just how hard are those springs? Anybody got these fitted? My 9000 Aero may be getting an upgrade in the damper department if I can't get the right price for her as she is.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I have heard that the Bilstein ride is very hard, but the ride quality on Koni's is nothing to write home about!

Yes, the Koni's are adjustable, but I reckon they are a pretty basic shock. I don't believe that there is any difference between the Abbott sourced one and the normal Koni unit.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I suspect the problem with the Bilstein kit is the springs rather than the shocks. In all probability the Abbott springs seem to be the best in terms of ride/handing, but I feel the Bilsteins are the better shock, so, I wonder if anyone has tried the Bilsteins with the Abbott springs, if the Abbott springs would fit the Bilstien shocks of course, as some Bilstein shcoks have flat spring pans that require flat ground spring ends.....???

Remember, although the Koni's are adjustable, this is only for the bump setting, not the more important rebound setting.
Anybody know what the bump/rebound rates are for the Koni's and Bilsteins.....???

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by JezF:
[qb]I have heard that the Bilstein ride is very hard, but the ride quality on Koni's is nothing to write home about![/qb][/b]
My experience with them seems to contradict that. When I fitted the Abbott springs and Konis, with the Konis set more for comfort than the super-hard track-day setting I have them at now, the ride was much more comfortable than the standard Aero ride. The car felt more controlled and didn't crash about on uneven surfaces.

[Edited for poor spelling
]

·
Registered
235 Posts
From personal experience, I have used konis before and they seemed OK, i have used them and lowered cars (Cavalier SRi and Golf GTi) and it ruined the ride totally. However, it was tolerable with just konis and std springs, in this case factory lowered springs.

I have also used Boge Turbogas, very good price, very nice ride. Not adjustable, but, for 1 day out of 365 does it really matter that much?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.