Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Bill,
Perhaps it's about time we compare notes...

After some teething problems with vacuum hoses literally falling to bits, and a failed PCV valve, quite content with the Maptun software, although was expecting a bigger smack in the back to be fair. Have yet to check or adjust base boost, so may be out. Custom 3" system from Hayward & Scott very pretty, and beautifully made, but backbox is fouling the rear ARB (grrr...) so need another trip to Basildon to get it sorted. Was disappointed to find that JT's "sport" cat is nothing of the sort (standard 400 cell ceramic), and may get it changed. The 3" dp may lower EGTs, but the cat will just slow that flow right back up again.

Got a forge dv (rather girly noise...), and stuck a Elkparts strut brace on to compliment the poly bushes, but suspension still standard. sb helps car sit more stably in long sweepers, but can't say I have noticed much difference. Anyway, got it cheap, 'cos it is gold(!) Need new discs and pads, and will definitely go brembo grey iron and ferodo ds2500 (cheapest suppliers locally?)

Anyway, glad I kept the car in the end. 116k and loads left in it. Will be doing light smoke tints, get the paint work mopped, get the driver's seat squab reupholsterd (the padding, not the leather) and a couple of door dents done, and it will be perfect.

Trip to Power Engineering for dyno soon - want to come along? I want more power. Wonder how long the (original) clutch will last...?

Hope things are good.
Zip

·
Registered
548 Posts
Zip wrote:
After some teething problems with vacuum hoses literally falling to bits, and a failed PCV valve, quite content with the Maptun software, although was expecting a bigger smack in the back to be fair.

Having recently installed the Maptun Stage3 in a healthy 9000 Aero I can agree that the "smack in the back" increase is moderate, but deceptive.

Having now made two trips to Germany with the new software I offer these two observations:

1) It is only above 3500 in 3rd and especially 4/5th that there is a real difference, but the smoothness of the power delivery hides the speed.

2) If you were to time your acceleration from high speed, say +90, you would find a massive difference. I do not have the means to measure precisely, but the uprated Aero can now run with almost all the sedans out playing on the A'bahn at night, no more chipped fuel oil burners keeping up w/ you. So unless you get the chance to use the upper gears w/ high revs this upgrade does not add much. Checking the revs in 5th at top speed, it appears that 5500 can be held on the flats, which is rather speedy.

You need your vacum hoses in pcv valve in top condition to run big boost.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Hi, Zip. Yes, I'm here. Just seem to be too busy to spend a lot of time on the boards at the moment.

Sounds like you've made it a "real" Aero at last

For my part, I've spent almost all day taking the gearbox out of mine to have it repaired again. When the ECU goes back to Maptun for a remap (larger injectors to cope with a few breathing mods), I think I'll have them re-instate the boost limit in 2nd gear. With the LSD, grip is no problem, and this has made for a 0-60 time of a hair above 5 seconds, 0-100 in 12, but all that fun is starting to get a bit expensive.

For the brakes, GSF in Apsley are the cheapest source of Brembo discs I've found. The grey Iron "Group N" discs from Trent are just standard Brembo discs. You need to ask specifically for Brembo, as GSF will otherwise assume you want the cheapest (most people do, of course).

DS2500s can be bought from the UK Ferodo Racing importer, Circuit Supplies, again conveniently located in Leighton Buzzard. There is a thread somewhere. Do a search for "Group N" in the Performance forum.

I won't be heading down to PE again for a little while yet. Need to get the gearbox in and then will be running on the standard ECU for a while to avoid burning pistons until I get the new injectors. Then again, it might be interesting to see what the standard ECU produces with all the mechanical mods...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a boost guage delivered this morning (need to check base, and max boost) from Elkparts which I will fit tonight (not sure where to put it...) Did you have to adjust base?

PS: Some enthusiastic driving on Sunday revealed that my clutch is slipping at WOT in 3rd and above. Shall I upgrade or stick to standard replacement? What have you done Bill, and what do you think?

Zip

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I had to raise base boost after fitting the JT exhaust system. I believe lack of backpressure allows the wastegate to open at lower boost pressure, lowering base boost.

As for the clutch, I had the same slipping problem on a clutch with only about 30K miles on it. It first showed up on a cold winter's night (about -2C) when I got an enormous boost pressure in 3rd gear. It gradually got worse after that.

I had Abbott fit the AP clutch plate, which is the cheapest solution (not cheapest from Abbott, though, by a long way). That is a bit "grabby" but hasn't been too bad, except when I got caught in Apsley in that big snowfall last winter and had to make liberal use of clutch slip (which it doesn't do well at all) on my way home, starting from the lowest point in Hemel and driving to roughly the highest

The S03 tyres didn't help...

Anyway, now the gearbox is out again, I'm taking the opportunity to try a different solution, not that the AP is giving any problems. I should be taking delivery today of a Sachs Racing pressure plate and will fit that along with a standard friction plate. It should work just like the standard clutch (although a little bit heavier) but be able to withstand about 550Nm.

It's not a cheap solution, though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm holding about 1.3 bar, peaking at 1.5 occasionally, but not really a spike. Base boost seems to be in the right vicinity. Clutch generally OK if only me in the car. Don't really want it to get any worse though. What's the Sachs PP setting you back, and where are you sourcing it?

Might be doing some breathing mods myself - induction and big delivery pipe. Does seem to be a bit breathless occasionally, especially in the heat. Seems logical to match a 3" dp with some extra at the other end, but I suppose I will have to get a remap - not sure if the St3 will cope with a leaner mixture so well...?

Zip

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Zip:
[qb]Might be doing some breathing mods myself - induction and big delivery pipe.  Does seem to be a bit breathless occasionally, especially in the heat.  Seems logical to match a 3" dp with some extra at the other end, but I suppose I will have to get a remap - not sure if the St3 will cope with a leaner mixture so well...?
[/qb][/b]
From what others have said/done I would say you would be better off with an uprated intercooler before going down the intake/delivery pipe route, too high intake temps probably accounting for the breathlessness....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.