Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to drop the sump on my (102k miles) 9-5 to check for the dreaded sludge build up. Whilst the sump is off I was also planning to slip in some new big end shells (only £30 for a full set).

The Haynes manual for the 9000 appears to recommend re using the old bolts. Is this OK or should I budget for new bolts as well ?

Thanks

Simon

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The old ones were re-used on my 9000 when I had them done, so I guess it's OK in principle

Having said that, are you sure you need new shells? 103k is hardly galactic mileage...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
new big end shells  [/b]
You cannot just fit a new set of shells as the tolerances might not be correct. You have to use plasigauge to check and fit the correct size shell to give you the right clearance. This could mean buying a load of different sized shells and as you have to buy them as a set it could turn out to be expensive.
The reason Saab engines last so long is they are virtually blue printed on assenbly, bearings are matched for each journal to ensure the correct clearance.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I spotted the referance to matching the bearings to the journal in the Haynes manual for the 9000. As far as I can see Saab only list one grade of shell for a std size journal. There is bit more bottom end noise than I am happy with hence the thought of new shells.

I guess when I drop the sump I could pop a big end and main bearing cap off and do a visual inspection of the shells.

I'll post something on the 9-5 board when I do deed.

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I know it is a dangerous assumption but would not have thought wear would be significant at your mileage - my old 9000T had done 174,000 miles without any problems - I am not sure that crank is a known weak area of the engine.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts