Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a bit of confussion....

I have just got my hands on a 97' 9000 turbo CSE. Going to be doing some performance tweeks to it but for the record I would like an estimate of what the standard BHP should be before touching it.

I am getting various answers from different websites and the manual aint much help.

Any tec heads know the specs?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
By the way, many of us (myself included) have regretted not taking our unmodified cars to a rolling road to get a baseline figure before tweaking them. It's all very well a rolling road measuring the power at the wheels and estimating what that might be at the flywheel. It seems to vary quite a bit. Better to measure the power at the wheels on the standard car, then do it again after tweaking. Any decent rolling road should measure power at the wheels accurately. I don't really trust their calculated flywheel figures.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
It'll be either a 2.0 LPT of 150bhp/215Nm, a 2.3LPT of 170bhp/260Nm, or, a 2.3FPT of 200bhp/323Nm.

Typical...get half way through a post, get called away for 5 mins...come back and hit the button to find several others have beat you to it....

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]By the way, many of us (myself included) have regretted not taking our unmodified cars to a rolling road to get a baseline figure before tweaking them. It's all very well a rolling road measuring the power at the wheels and estimating what that might be at the flywheel. It seems to vary quite a bit. Better to measure the power at the wheels on the standard car, then do it again after tweaking. Any decent rolling road should measure power at the wheels accurately. I don't really trust their calculated flywheel figures. [/qb][/b]
I intend to do this with my 87 9000, standard at the mo apart from a red APC, I'm going to get it dyno'd with the old APC plugged in and then reconnect the red box and try again.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Scaero owner:
[qb]or very late 2.3T anniversary - 225hp [/qb][/b]
I thought of that, but thought it probably wouldn't appear on a '97. A good way to tell which engine you have, Dave, is to check your VIN number here.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I intend to do this with my 87 9000, standard at the mo apart from a red APC, I'm going to get it dyno'd with the old APC plugged in and then reconnect the red box and try again.[/b]
I'm very curious to see you results. I have a tweaked APC in my '87 and no idea of the perf gain

To my knowledge (in the UK...), the 185bhp 2.0l was only for the 900 Carlsson.[/b]
The 2.0 185 hp was the best engine that was avaiable here in Italy on the 9000, besides the couple of 2.3 Aeros sold. Avaiable only in later times.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Andrew, the 2.0L 9000 Carlsson with cat was 185bhp and 195bhp without the cat - I had one and still have the red box.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]
Er no, they were 195 with cat and 204 without. Or that is what saab claim in there model spec sheets and also in the carlsson brochures.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
OK its a 2.3 turbo anaversairy edition if that helps.

According to what I can find on that website its 200bhp[/b]
If it's a '98 anny registered in '97 (three spokes wheels with open bolt holes, then its 225bhp.

Check the engine no. off the log book.

If it starts B234L = 200bhp
if it starts B234R = 225bhp

Andrew

·
Registered
17 Posts
all i know is that the previous owner said its a 185bhp e ngine and that when my turbo went a turbo specilast look at it and said it was a 185bhp engine as the turbos are diff or something and he needed to know that to get my new turbo....

My car is a 1990 9000 turbo without cat..

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Er no, they were 195 with cat and 204 without. Or that is what saab claim in there model spec sheets and also in the carlsson brochures.[/b]
You owe me beer
For the MY90 Carly 9000CD its engine was 195 with no cat and 185 with cat. The 204bhp engine was never fitted to the Carly 9000CD. I'll bring my Saab brochures to the Tamworth meet to claim my free beer. I'll also bring my anorak, note book and woolly bobble hat

1 - 20 of 24 Posts