Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst I'm changing an instrument panel bulb, I'm trying to fit a boost gauge. A gauge from a full turbo is now in the instrument panel, although I did manage to loose one of the rubber feet.

What is the best route for the pressure/vacuum tube, and what type of tube should be used.

The car has ACC and the route of the cooling pipework looks a good way past the dummy bulkhead from the engine compartment. But where should it go through the inner bulkhead into 'cabin'.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi Tom,

Try this link to a current thread just below. Haggags Boost Gauge Thread

Please use the search engine at the top of each forum page to see if your question's been asked before.
For instance I've just entered 'Pressure Vacuum hose' (without the quote marks) into the search engine and let it search the 9000 forum, which is the default when you are in this forum. This returned 9 threads from the past, of which one, entitled 'Vacuum lines suggestions' had all the answers I think you'll need.
Try it and see folks.
Nick.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A search did not find anything I hadn't seen before, but did prompt me to rip out some ducting to see what I would be able to see if I had a glove box and removed it.

I found a couple of vac pipe connectore of different sizes. At least I now know how and where to get through one of the bulkheads.

But still not sure which to use or whether I should use thick wall or thin wall tubing for the boost gauge.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Originally posted by TomR:
[qb]But still not sure which to use or whether I should use thick wall or thin wall tubing for the boost gauge.      [/qb][/b]
Thin wall non-rigid tube may collapse on overrun. You need tube with a wall thickness that can retain its shape under internal pressures less than atmospheric.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Greenphotos

I got as far as you show in your picture.
Its what to do *** inside *** the cabin that interests me. How did you mount the guage and did you have to take the lid off the dash to run the pipe???

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the dash top had to come off. See my other posting for the tricky bit. I got a instrument panel from a scrapper and swopped the unit with the boost gauge, fuel, and temp. Fired up and the inst panel went bonkers

So out it came again. On closer inspection realised the gauges and illumination were wired differently.

I'd started so I'd better finish.

So I took the boost gauge and the printed background from the scrapper and transfered them to my original panel.

The major problem is you have to take the pointers off the gauges to fit the new background. Putting them back in the right place is difficult. I did it by trial and error, but there,s probably a better way.

ps

you go through the inner bulkhead via an already fitted connector about top right corner of glove box ( if you had one )

Now I'm off to try it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.