Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I checked all of the fluid levels today and noticed that the power steering fluid was low.

It says use recomended fluid as replacement. I remember hearing somewhere to be care what I used. What would you guys recomend? (Is there a section on saabscene which lists the recommended oil's and fluids to use?)

jj

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for advice bwana,
I've spoken to a pal who is versed in these matters & did a bit (2 hours) of research on the web.
Some cars do use the same ATF fluid in the tranny & power steering,for example the Volvo 240. Some cars even use engine oil I am told.
Obviously if it was okay to use ATF in the Saab then in the interests of simplicity Saab would say so. Ipso facto best stick to Texaco 4634.
Of interest Castrol have Saab listed as one of the models that should NOT use their power steering fluid! There is obviously more to power steering fluid than just being hydraulic oil.

·
Registered
303 Posts
since it's a GM saginaw rack used in various old FWD american stuff (and the same problems) I think any suitable GM spec PAS fluid would be OK.

problems with older 900's (pre 90) are heavy 'morning sickness' steering. Basically with these racks the seals never wear - the spool valve wears the racks aluminium body! So nothing can really help these. If the fluid is black your rack is probably already on it's way.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for that ChristianB
I'll check that.
My previous post should read SAAB 900 as not being an application for Castrol PS fluid. This was on advice from a knowledgable chum, Tried to conftrm on Castrol web site but it is vague in this area for the C900,but does seem to be the case.

·
Registered
66 Posts
ATF will work but there is better fluid to use in the power steering system.
You may feel improved steering feel.
I did.
Suggust you suck out as much steer fluid from the res. as you can.
Baster works.
Then use GM style clear steering fluid and fill res.
Change it out again a few times over the course of a couple monthes.
That's the best.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had the same problem after taking the old 900CET out of storage for 6 months. The power steering fluid was dangerously low.

The recommended oils are:
GM/DELCO 9985010, and TEXACO TL4634. I just pulled the list out of my back pocket. I was at the "Canadian Tire" shop today and picked up a small 450ml bottle of VALVOLINE SYNTHETIC power steering fluid for $5. It listed that it was GM9985010 equivolent on the reverse label. The liquid was clear. Hope this helps someone, the local SAAB dealer wanted $15 for AC DELCO, but I imagine it would have been a bigger bottle.

hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had the same problem after taking the old 900CET out of storage for 6 months. The power steering fluid was dangerously low.

The recommended oils are:
GM/DELCO 9985010, and TEXACO TL4634. I just pulled the list out of my back pocket. I was at the "Canadian Tire" shop today and picked up a small 450ml bottle of VALVOLINE SYNTHETIC power steering fluid for $5. It listed that it was GM9985010 equivolent on the reverse label. The liquid was clear. Hope this helps someone, the local SAAB dealer wanted $15 for AC DELCO, but I imagine it would have been a bigger bottle.

hope this helps someone.[/b]
Sorry to dig up an old topic... I was googling for info about the proper power steering fluid for classic 900's and found this thread.

I started checking what I can get locally and discovered the fluid I have been using is the wrong type (it's based on auto trans fluid!), however I did find that Penrite which is an aussie oil and fluid maker produces a power steering fluid product called 'Penrite PAS' which corresponds to the GM 9985010 specification, so I'm going to start using that and when I next do anything on the PS system in my 89 900i hatchback I'll get rid of the old fluid and put the proper stuff in.

Craig.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started checking what I can get locally and discovered the fluid I have been using is the wrong type (it's based on auto trans fluid!), however I did find that Penrite which is an aussie oil and fluid maker produces a power steering fluid product called 'Penrite PAS' which corresponds to the GM 9985010 specification, so I'm going to start using that and when I next do anything on the PS system in my 89 900i hatchback I'll get rid of the old fluid and put the proper stuff in.
Craig.
Did you have any luck with this Craig ?
I've also found that Nulon make "Full Synthetic Multi Vehicle Power Steering Fluid" and it specifically states on http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Po...Synthetic_Multi_Vehicle_Power_Steering_Fluid/ that it complies with GM 9985010 and Saab PN 30 09 800 (PSF 4634)
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au sell it in 500mL bottles for $10, and given that the owner's manual says the system only has a 750mL capacity, I'm going to pick up a couple of bottles and give mine a flush. Whatever's in there right now is red and dirty :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just been researching this as I needed to top up. Couldn't find gm9985010 online in the uk (guess trawling auto parts stores I may have been lucky). Dug up a company in Germany, Ravenol who do it. Bought 3 for reasonable price plus £6 ish postage. Came in two days. Plan will be to flush stationary drive and flush again, keeping one bottle for top up. Posting to help anyone looking for correct PSF.<br/>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts