Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

the Saab Dealer just informed me that I can pick up my Viggen this afternoon

But they also told me that my brake pads need replacing - and they were not happy that I didn´t want them to replace them at once

Of course, I will replace them at once myself, so I ask you: What pads should I choose? I´m quite happy with the performance of the Saab pads, but I would like to have less brake dust, and I would like them to last at least 15.000 miles while standing at least 30 laps on the Ring

Thanks for your input!

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
It would all depend on how you drive the Ring, Phillip. However, I don't think one pad will last significantly longer than another as I seem to go through a set of pads almost on a yearly basis. My current pads had only survived for part of summer due to the many Ring miles I drove! I can't comment on the brake dust issue as I have yet to see a set of pads that truly did not give of lots of dust.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I got some SP Graphite Metallic pads from www.brakeworld.com ... they seem to work fairly well. Much much lower dusting than the stock pads, and it took me 8 consecutive stops from 60-5 mph as quickly as I could accellerate between stops just to get any noticable pad fade with them.

I don't know how they'd hold up on the ring, they are a performance pad, but not a racing pad ... they do stick well, don't dust too much (still a little) and IMHO are way way better than the factory set, but I haven't raced them anywhere yet.

Might also try Red Stuff pads from EBC. They're good from 100 to 1500 degrees F ... most factory pads are only good till about 650 degrees. It does mean they don't work as well in the dead cold of winter, but they should be able to handle most anything you can throw at them at the ring. Can't speak about dusting though as I've not used them (and I hear they can be noisy at times).

Also I would reccomend some AP racing discs. They perform at the ring better than cross drilled and can be found at Abbott. Bit pricey, but if you're going to change brake pads, may as well go full stop and catch some new rotors. If you want cross drilled for any reason, brakeworld has cross drilled and slotted Brembo rotors for the Viggen. Though the front rotors are listed under 9-5, which I didn't know at the time. (otherwise I would have gotten nice brembo's instead of questionable custom drilled units)

Anyway, good luck with your hunting! Keep on Saabin'

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I use Hawk HPS pads for the front. dust is unchanged from both the stock pads and the Pagid pads the car has had on it before. The best part though is their performance. They did not fade at all on any Ring lap and ever for that matter. Also, they did their great performance with very little rotors wear.

I am not sure if they are available for the Viggen but I am sure they would be, however, I do not think they are sold over here in Europe. I got mine from the TireRack in the US. They were $100 for the set.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

neither Hawk nor SP pads are available over here. In fact, it is quite hard to find pads for the viggen as they are different from the normal 9-3 pads. So far, I only found Saab(=Textar), Bosch and ATE pads. I am tending towards the ATE pads, as ATE powerdiscs have quite a good reputation...

Your input would be appreciated...

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Would brakeworld not deliver to there? I guess it would take far to long anyway.

BTW the Viggen uses the standard 9-5 pad doesn't it? The rotors are interchangeable, but it is possible the pads are not.

The ATE pad and disc combo sounds really good to me. Good to upgrade the entire package.
Sorry you couldn't find the SP's ... they've turned out to be a very good quiet, low dusting but high performance pad. Shame they don't sell them there. Hopefully the ATE will be as adequate a compromise.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Sorry, I can't comment on any of those. I don't have any experience with them. I think most of the other Europeans on here have done most of their talking about Ferodo or Mintex. Maybe for your case, the EBC Greenstuff may be a good alternative as well. I think I remember seeing them on the ChipCenter site.

And for Adrian, shipping over here from the US can be very cost prohibitive. I get my stuff from US vendors because I get mailed here for normal US postal rates.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
The front pads are the same for both Aero and Viggens.

I'm pretty sure the pads are the same for the lpt's also, as the caliper is identical, just the carrier thats different, saab list different part no for non aero's, but this could be down to a compound difference??

May well be worth finding a friendly local suppliers that lists some performance pads for non viggens/aero's and ask to match your pads up.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I could get Hawk pads overhere when I was searching to upgrade my brakes. But Hawk idin't list them for 9000's I will try tomorrow if i can find something for you.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, thanks for all the input.

I had a longer phone conversation with Kai ("Viggen Racing") this afternoon, and he told me to get Ferodo DS3000 for the front and Saab stock or ATE for the rear. I´m not quite sure about the Ferodos, as at least one German supplier states that they are not suitable for road use ... and they cost more than 200 EURO a pair

Injectie, if you are able to source Hawk HPS Pads that are really suitable fo the Viggen (front), that would be great. If they are ok for Eric, they will be ok for me, too

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Philip,

The DS3000 are good (very good by all accounts), but can wear fast in aggressive driving, and are prone to spray you alloys with molten brake disc/pad. BillJ has them in his CS Aero.

For lots of us here, the DS2500 are a good compromise between ultimate pads and very good usable pads that last longer and are cheaper.

Andrew

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,

just wanted to inform you that I just ordered a set of Ferodo DS2500 for my Viggen. The price was 99 EURO plus tax for the set, and I am going to get them still this week.

Thank you!

Philip

P.S. Anyone here who wants to help me change the pads? I never did this before

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Philip, I'll do it for you if you want to bring it over. Just PM me with a good time of when you'd like to have me put them in for you.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Just found the phone number of the dutch distrubutor for Hawk pads. But I guess it isn't needed anymore. Apperently there is a distributor in Germany too.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Just beware! Putting that silly clip on can be a real pain in the bum. Other than that, my swap was very straightforward. Still getting new discs too Phillip? If ya get some that are cross drilled, lemme tell ya.
Hope ya have fun.

Dubbya

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I found that the trick with the wire clip is to put the ends in first and stretch the middle over the lugs using a lever. Wear thick leather gloves to prevent whiplash injury if it slips.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Injectie:
[qb]Just found the phone number of the dutch distrubutor for Hawk pads. But I guess it isn't needed anymore. Apperently there is a distributor in Germany too. [/qb][/b]
I think it would be still nice to know. And thanks for your help!

Yours,

Philip

1 - 20 of 26 Posts