Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps,
I need to replace my belt tensioner and idler before it breaks (not too much longer by the sound of it!), any recommendations as to where to get the bits cheap(ish)?
Any comments on doing the job?
Thanks
Pete.
'91 9000S 2.3 Turbo

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I replaced the multirib belt ,tensioner and idler pulleys on my 2.3T just 4 weeks ago, I got the bits from Eurocarparts and was about 50 odd quid altogether. There was a bit of confusion on their website ordering as to which were the correct pulleys and I had to phone them to get the information. There are 2 pulleys on the 2.3 engine, one fixed and one on the tensioner.
The job was quite easy, the hardest bit was undoing the nut on the tensioner pulley which has a LEFTHAND THREAD. The old pulleys seemed ok but the ticking noise at tickover when cold has now gone - might have been the belt which was definitely showing signs of cracking.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yup....eurocarparts the best place....much cheaper than dealer! Try visiting a centre and looking at it....both pulleys are not the same! Take old ones with you for comparision. Also replace the belt while at it! Check the tensioner pulley compressor for wear at lower pivot, if worn or rough, replace it....these compressors are expensive!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had the whole lot done under a warranty (TG) about 4 months ago. The dealers told me the tensioner pulley's "compressor" (hydraulic spring) fails and accelerates the wear on the other pulleys. Do belt at same time, I was told, and did.

Good luck

·
Registered
507 Posts
Pete, I've done 2 of these, Check if you have the automatic or manual tensioner. My '93 LPT has the manual one which looks easier to work on.It's an easy job and is simplified by removing the plastic wheel arch liner, better access but adds 30 mins to job. You can do it from the engine bay though.You'll need to specify air con or non air con when buying the belt A.C one is longer.
I couldn't get part from Euro Parts in Glasgow ,had to use Saab which cost £32 for pulley i think. 13mm spanner/socket needed.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I finally got round to doing the job this evening!
The worst bit is getting the b****y wing liner out!! The wheel arch fasteners were no problem, but the silly screws that fasten together the spoiler, undertray and liner were! Now all replaced I hasten to add!
The job was easy to do, even without making up the 'tool' shown in the Haynes manual. I got the bits from Eurocarparts, but they couldn't supply the multi-rib drive belt. They managed to send the wrong one twice! Good delivery service though, overnight both times. In the end I managed to get the belt from a local belt supplier (and I've got the Gates part number now if anyone needs it) for £16.
I decided to go the whole hog and change the idler pulley, the tensioner pulley, and the tensioner cylinder. I'm glad I did, as the tensioner was well and truly knackered (oil spurting out everywhere!).
The whole thing runs a lot quieter now!
Pete.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.