Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just had a whole lot of work completed on my 'new' 9000 2.3 Turbo.. but have a question..

I've had the Trent Saab stage 2 brake discs (Brembo grey iron) and pads (Ferodo DS2500 and Mintex Rears) fitted at the same time as a big service, all fluids changed and a new DI unit.

Trent saab recommend bedding the brakes in gently (left foot braking - dabs.. as he put it) BUT... erm my car is an Auto.

How should I bed these brakes in?

Ta!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I can't find them now, but I seem to remember that the Ferodo instructions say to do 20-25 (or was it 25-30?) moderate operations of the brakes from 70mph down to 40mph (or was it 60 down to 30?). Anyway, you get the idea, and these are the instructions I followed. I made sure I did the braking operations at fairly frequent intervals as I believe getting the brakes really hot is an important part of the process.

I did this on bedded-in brake discs, so I don't know whether the new discs will make a difference to the process.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Yes new discs do make a difference... but the procedure is much the same. What you're aiming to to is gradually build up heat to stabilise the discs. AP recommend gentle braking from 60-40, then normal driving for a 100 miles or so avoiding harsh stops if possible, then build up bigger braking, say 70-30 but not too hard. What you want to do is build up until you have reached a sufficiently high temperature to bed the discs in. Then you can go for your 100mph (160kmh?)stops...

Oh, and Mark, I've found a cheap source for Ferodo DS2500 pads- how about £55 incl VAT for the rear? I suspect the front are about £70. But you probably didn't want to know that now... sorry!

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Nicked this off the AP site
Bedding-in Brakes Properly:
Brakes – even AP Racing® brakes – need to be bedded –in properly if they are going to give proper service with this sort of treatment. Bedding-in the disc or stress relieving the iron after it has been fitted to the mounting bell is of paramount importance if premature warping is to be avoided, yet it is a simple process. For the first 10 miles brake lightly from 50/60 mph down to 30 mph. Do not attempt any high speed stops down to zero at this point, as only the faces will heat up. For the next 100 miles brake as you would in traffic avoiding full stops from 70 mph plus. By now the area around the bolts should be light blue temper color. If so good heat soak has been achieved. For the next 100 miles gradually increase the braking effort. After this full braking power can be used. Now you’re ready for the track!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
The way I bedded them in was to see how quickly I could brake from 60mph to 30mph. As mine were fitted by Trents, Glenn did the initial bedding in for me. Graham didn't give me any special instructions, he just said the bite would get progressively better after a hundred or so miles .. and it did.

Mark A, one thing you could perhaps confirm for me; see how your brakes are on a cold morning? Mine used to be very dull until I braked a few times, at worst there was almost no bite at all for the first 2-3 stops!! I think this may well have been the decrepid ABS holding things back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.