Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP WANTED, need to save face by doing something to my NG900 2.0iS to improve the power as i just got blown off by a boy racer in a NOVA!!! that was fully loaded with spotty 17 yr olds!! aint got the funds to buy a new motor!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Sadly the performance possibilities for your n/a engine are nowhere near as broad as those of the turbocharged engines.

There are a few things you could try, though, which might release a few extra bhp (but nothing earth-shattering I'm afraid)

- Replace your air filter with a freer-flowing one (JR or similar), or go for a full-on induction kit
- Ditto your exhaust - replace this with something a bit bigger to help the engine 'breathe'
- Fill up with Super Unleaded / Optimax or somesuch
- Practise 'launching'

Then you're into major internal stuff - porting, polishing, lightening, balancing and the like. Big £££, though. If you're serious about tuning a n/a engine, talk to Abbott Racing. They've probably the most experience, having raced a n/a GM900 for several years; there's some info on their website. They might also be able to do something with your electronics for a bit more
. I've driven a tuned 2.3i GM900 of theirs that certainly wasn't slow.

Bottom line, though, is that the 2.0i is never going to set the world on fire, and your 'vert is a comparatively heavy car. So just put the roof down, crank up the Miles Davis, and next time the Nova boys pull alongside let 'em go while you bask in your aura of stylish superiority

Cheers

James

PS And please don't capitalise your post titles - pet hate of mine

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Could also add Nitrous Oxide to the list. But best to just let the boys in their Nova have their fun.

If you were in the states I'd tell you to send em my way. I'll show em what a GM900's chassis can do in a straight line with the right kind of motor.

And if this is the kind of Nova we have over here, I'll make em look slow through the corners too, in either of my Saabs.

IMHO for the same money as a 2.0i you could probably get a slightly older C900, either turbo or N/A, and while not the fastest on the straights, more than an equal for many cars through some twisty bits.
My N/A C900 used to regularly scare the pants of many "faster" cars through the canyon. T'was quite fun!

Dubbya~

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Ther is a nova around these parts with a ex formula 3 engine in it ..you really do not want to take it on ..at 500 hp/ton

nothing much ccan touch it
I tried and failed

it looks like a white nova spin ..no go faster body kit or huuge wheels
you have been warned !!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thats madness ylee, Im sure if you got the weight down on your rocket you could give them a better run for their money.

Its amazing what a bit of weight reduction can do, I remember Jermey Clarkson doing a test with a jag xjs and they knocked 4 seconds off the 0-60 time from around 12 secs to 8.

I wonder has anyone tried anything like this on a saab just too see?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys/girls, this topic has raised my spirits. like the abbot exhaust on the nova as for my vert, i loved the one about the roof down etc. ive got an abbott exhaust so at least mines sounds the real deal
best get my pipe and slippers out then. sorry for putting the capitals in everyone

·
Registered
161 Posts
With 200+ BHp and 233+ torque i hate it when i get burned by these chav scum too

But alas, its going to happen, the c900 and most other saabs were never quater mile cars!

So i dont take em on, never hammer my old girl anyhow much before 50 or 3rd/4th gear.

I get my kicks from letting a 530/ A6 2.7/ porsche boxster sit on my ass for a bit until we get down the slip road and out onto the motorway!
As he checks his mirror (or indeed she checks her mirror on occassion!) I leave it in fourth at 50mph, floor the power, read 1.2 Bar, change gear into 5th at 90 ish and completeyly dismiss them before they have time for there self correcting acoustic radio has time to turn itself up.

Pop upto 110 ish then settle back down to around 95! If they wanna pass me at over 100 then go for it. Most just tuck back in behind and take the hint. Im sat there knowing ive played me trump card and if they wanted too they would loose me top end for sure! Ive just given the best ive got, but they dont know that

At the end of the day you cant loose, if you do, well you've an old (13 years) car and they've a straight out of the box £30K monster. If you pull it off, you try and keep the big grin in line.

I think the abbott twin exhaust helps to persuade em that they are not dealing with some nancy boy.

Lesson is, leave the ring road racers alone, and take on the stuff your not supposed to beat rather than the stuff you think you will. The only shocks then will be theres when you beat em

·
Registered
293 Posts
Originally posted by Ross ARMc900:
[qb]I leave it in fourth at 50mph, floor the power, read 1.2 Bar, change gear into 5th at 90 ish and completely dismiss them ...[/qb][/b]
I know what you mean When my LPT was still stock I was embarrassed on countless occasions by small hot hatches when the power just wasn't there. Now it's a blast

·
Registered
464 Posts
i upset an audi TT the other week on the way to portsmouth on the A3.....there is a long uphill stretch just past petersfield, i had a 50mph merchant in front whilst overtaking a couple of trucks and the bloke in the audi screamed up behind me with full beam on and sat 4ft from my rear bumper...imagine his surprise when i dropped it into 3rd (once the carin front had moved over)to about 100mph then str8 into 5th then just eased off...left him in no mans land... he did go past me once i had eased off but i think i may have upset him slightly ...i love this hirsch kit....and before anyone asks, yes it was the single exhaust baby version, but i still enjoyed putting him in his place.

just as an aside, there used to be a guy near me that had a reliant kitten...had pinto powered [expletive deleted] written on the back, and i did hear he had fitted nitrus too...one to avoid me thinks...all that power and weighs the same as a j cloth

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
It's no fun being whipped by those small cars . My most embarrasing moment was being beaten off the line by a granny in her Micra
. That was when I had my, hardly ever mentioned, 9-3 2.0L turbo. The car had to go... How fortunes have now changed

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Chenks

Check your rotar arm and dizzy are in good order as well as the plugs. I just changed my rotar arm and have another 50bhp at the wheels Seriously though, pick up is much improved especially under 3k rpm.

Cheers
Al

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i changed the "dizzy" ( forgive me but is that slang for distributer cap/housing? ) last service, spark plugs getting changed this summer at the next service. never thought about the rotor arm though. cheers. this topic has had me pi55in myself laughing with all the funny stories, keep up the good work everyone. will the JR filter make much difference? thanks again

·
Registered
249 Posts
Chenks,

To be honest with you, give it up. If I were you I would save every penny to buy a NG900 or 9-3 2.0lpt ot fpt.
Altough the cars look almost the same than n/a, you can do a lot with them (reaching 200bhp is easy and doesn't cost a lot). Then it is a wolf in the sheep clothes. At the moment it looks like you have a sheep in the wolf clothes...

2.0 n/a NG900 is a grandmother's car...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Chenks

It's worth checking the rotar arm. Mine has only done 49k on a 96 P and it was quite pitted. It pulls much stronger now. I have a JR filter which I'll 'install' in the next day or two. I also have NGK iridium plugs (BCP 5EV-X) whick I 'feel' make a difference.

BTW, Adam is lucky he's in Holland and not next to me at the traffic lights ....grandmother's car...... . He knows my Abbott wheel trims add an extra 150 bhp

Seriously though, if you want more poke..best get a 9-3 LPT or T.

Cheers
Al

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm up for any challenge from a n/a 2.0 NG900. I reckon my sluggish 2.3lpt boat will beat it without putting the autobox in the "S"illy mode...
I guess the best name for 2.3lpt is a "grandfather's car" .

1 - 20 of 38 Posts