Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my 9000 started making a whining noise from what sounds like the front passenger wheel. It is speed related and the thing it sounds most like is a computer hard drive with a dry bearing... So I'm assuming that its probably the bearing in this case too.

How easy is it to repack the bearing and how safe is it to drive with it making this noise?

Steve

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi Steve,
It's a bit subjective really. Depending on how loud it is, it'll get steadily worse. Once the bearing's noisy, repacking will be a waste of time (& that's if it's even possible, which it isn't on those, as they're sealed bearings ). However, loudness "is in the ear of the beholder"! My father-in-law recently told me he had "a slight whine in the gearbox". When I listened to it, I thought the 'box was likely to fall in half within a very few miles!!
Eurocarparts have them listed at about £70.00. They come complete with the hub, and are pretty easy to plonk on.
Good Luck!
Pete.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I took the wheel off and looked at it all, shuddered and put the wheel back on. I phoned the local garage who told me to bring it round and they would look at it. They too say it sounds like a bearing but its not doing the normal sort of things like going louder and quieter when you turn corners. The guy there jacked the car up and turned the wheel and said that he can feel it sticking as it goes round. He says he thinks its the hub bearing but it may be the differential bearing... so tomorrow they will drop the drive shaft out and see if if the problem goes away - if it does then its going to be a long job.........

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts