Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ‘03 9-3 SE Convertible went into social distancing with the rest of us. Now the battery keeps going dead.

It went into the garage for a few days and we started it every few dayS. The weather was cold and rainy so we didn’t take it out. When it finally warmed up with some sun, the battery was dead. A quick jump start and it’s fine. We can run all the electrics and drive for an hour or so with no issues, it’s not running off the battery due to a bad alternator, I’m assuming. When you get home it starts right up again no issues. But next morning it won’t kick the car over, battery is basically dead. Prior to sitting for isolation, car was fine, no issues with starting it, although it was a slow cracker.

I was just wondering if there is something more than the battery I’m not aware of that I should be looking to check? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My ‘03 9-3 SE Convertible went into social distancing with the rest of us. Now the battery keeps going dead.

It went into the garage for a few days and we started it every few dayS. The weather was cold and rainy so we didn’t take it out. When it finally warmed up with some sun, the battery was dead. A quick jump start and it’s fine. We can run all the electrics and drive for an hour or so with no issues, it’s not running off the battery due to a bad alternator, I’m assuming. When you get home it starts right up again no issues. But next morning it won’t kick the car over, battery is basically dead. Prior to sitting for isolation, car was fine, no issues with starting it, although it was a slow cracker.

I was just wondering if there is something more than the battery I’m not aware of that I should be looking to check? Any help is appreciated.
One fairly clear test of the battery is to drive the car to charge the battery, get home and disconnect the battery. Wait a couple of days, reconnect battery. If no crank, battery is bad. One word of caution. Disconnecting battery may require pass codes for radio, etc. if your car needs such things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, ordered a multi-meter and plan to run the series of tests in the alternator and battery, hoping I do not wind up with a short somewhere. It was fine until we went into isolation, so I’m really hoping just a new battery need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts