Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share this one with you all in the hope that it will help someone one day.
Last night whilst putting the car (9000 Aero) into the garage I notced that the little red led above the cigarette lighter was flashing whilst the engine was actually running. After scouring the handbook to find out what this meant and getting nowhere I decided to just keep my eye on it to see if it happened again. This morning when I set of for work everything was fine. The car allways starts first turn of the key and there has never been anything to suggest that there was anything wrong. This afternoon when I had to go out after the car had spent all day on the car park the first turn of the key was very sluggish and the engine failed to start. The second turn of the key flattened the battery right down to nothing working at all. A quick check with a multimeter and 12.4 volts was what I measured. A third tun of the key gave no response at all and the volts were now down to 8.3 volts. Terminal!!!
A new battery fitted and everything is now fine. A quick check to see weather anything is drawing current whilst the ignition is switched off and everything appears to be OK. It is drawing .03Amps (probably the clock).
Conclusion : the red led flashing whilst the engine was running was possibly an indication that the power was down in the battery.
Anyone else come accross this?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Whilst I have experienced sudden and terminal failure of battery - OK in the morning but wouldn't start the car at night when I had to leave work - necessitating a new battery, I'm not familiar with any LED above the cigarette lighter. There hasn't been one on any of 9000s I have owned. Could this be related to the alarm? Could the LED flashing be indicating an alarm fault. Could a faulty alarm run the battery down?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Nopt familiar with a red led above lighter socket though. Maybe an aftermarket alarm or similar?

Deepest sympathy on the death of your battery though, matey
Make sure you use a lead lined coffin so the acid doesn't leak though. )

·
Registered
328 Posts
I had a similar experience with an alarm that would activate and deactivate but refused to sanction ignition. I checked the battery and it was giving different readings on the terminals due to corrosion. One hammer blow freed the blockage and it cranked first time.

New battery is fine and going back to a previous thread, Halfords give a 4 year guarantee on their batteries which is useful since they never last that long = free batteries for life...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The red led flashes normally when the car has has been locked with the use of the remote key fob. It isn't an alarm, it's just keyless entry and imobiliser. I think it was standard to the car when new.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Although traitorous ;-) i bought a battery from a Vauxhall dealer, it wasn't a Vauxhall part, but a cheaper equivalent they can also supply who's name i've forgotten.

It cost £39 for a 75Ah battery as opposed to £75 for a Vauxhall unit!.

Skiddins

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that Skids, but it's just a little bit far for me to go. The one I ended up getting was a 65 A/h and it cost me $150 (£50 approx) with a 2 year warranty. The norm over here is only 1 year warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts