Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The battery on my 05 150 linear sport is being drained overnight. I`ve traced the fault to the "audio/infotainment screen" if i remove the 20a fuse( F14) from the passenger side fuse box the battery stays fully charged, i`ve checked a wiring diagram and there are 3 separate earthing points, under the battery box,left hand side engine mounting and the centre bar under the dash, anyone had this issue? and is there an earth that always corrodes ?.
Thanks in advance for your expertise.
Rgds Drew

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Merve 84,

Fuse F14 is for the audio/infotainment screen,located on passenger side in cabin. I`ve removed the battery tray and cleaned both negative earths and cable connectors that attach to the earthing points,put everything back how it should be, the batterys fully charged so i guess i`ll find out in the morning whether thats cured the fault.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks,

I have the exact same problem with our 06 2.8T Sportwagon.

I removed the F14 fuse and it has cured the problem - but don't know where to start in order to solve the problem fully?

Baler8 - did removing the fuse solve your issue as well?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had exactly the same problem a few months back.

When tested, the drain was three to four times what it should have been. Finally dignosed as the amp not turning off for whatever reason. Chap who fixed it said all he did (after almost four hours trying to trace the fault) was disconnect and reconnect amp connections then taped them up plus used a cable tie I think. Anyway, it's not happened since so may be you want to start your diagnosis with that one first.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All,

This fault has me demented not too mention the wife, it`s her car,after cleaning the earths located under the battery box and leaving it overnight with a fully charged battery, hey presto checked battery voltage 12.5 volts big cheesy grin everyones happy,park the car up and leave it,again overnight, and hey presto the batterys as flat as a pancake the next morning AAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH, however the only difference was a cd had been left in the player,although when the car had another battery put on the cd was on the same track,someone else suggested it could be the amp under the passenger seat,when i look at mine there`s a red light shining from inside the amp even with the ignition off and radio/cd player/info screen off is this Right?. I`ve changed it for a second hand amp just to try, fitted the obligatory fully charged battery and will see at 6 o`clock in the morning if with a cd in the player it starts,if not tomorrow nite i`ll fit another fully charged battery and leave the cd out of the player.
Can anyone out there show me the way to get my life back PLEASE.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Merve 84/all

I went to the car at 6 o`clock this morning,pressed the remote to open the door,doors unlocked, interior light came on,lifted the bonnet 12.25v in the battery fired up no problem,wife drove 2 miles to work left it 2 hours and went to start it, it just to say turned over, started but only just, drove approx 1 mile ,left it 2 hours ,started no problem. The first journey had the front /rear demister on as well as everything else (cd player climate etc etc) and i appreciate they draw a hefty amount of juice but could the demisters be pulling more juice than they should, i`m just trying to figure out why some days it starts and others it doesnt, perhaps sometimes she parks up and leaves the front rear demist on and others she doesnt, or maybe i`m grasping at straws here lol.
Watch this space to see whether it starts tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Start it and see if you get a rise in voltage. If it goes up to 13-14v then the alternator is working, if not then thats where the issue is, meaning it's not charging enough to cover the deficit

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All,

Well the car stood allnight, pressed the remote to open door, doors unlocked,interior light came on........failed to start BOO HOO didnt even get the sid illuminated....i`ve had my multimeter across the battery and get 13.8v when the engines running, i`ve disconnected the handsfree to no avail, the only time the voltage is`nt drained overnight is when i remove the fuse (F14) from passenger side fuse box inside the car, which is for the AUDIO/INFOTAINMENT CONTROL PANEL.So the answer to this is LONG NOSED PLIERS to pull the fuse out when the cars going to stand any length of time.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Does the light inside the glove box turn completely off when you close the cover?

PS: It is not straightforward to check but you can notice if the light goes off on your palm from underneath when closing it and the car is parked in complete darkness. Or remove the small bulb and see after a couple of days if battery is still draining.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HI chris/merve/all,

I`ve tried the govebox light(disconected it completley,) also boot, as for the audio i`ve now changed the head unit/cd player and the amp under the front passenger seat,however the reverse parking sensor also goes off when you pull the fuse and the ticking for the indicators so i`m now going to inspect the wiring/plugs for reverse park sensors, it`s now completley taken over my life i`m like a dog with a bone and i`m never going to give up,so no doubt there will be more posts and swearing.
Thanks again everybody for your suggestions, help and time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI chris/merve/all,

I`ve tried the govebox light(disconected it completley,) also boot, as for the audio i`ve now changed the head unit/cd player and the amp under the front passenger seat,however the reverse parking sensor also goes off when you pull the fuse and the ticking for the indicators so i`m now going to inspect the wiring/plugs for reverse park sensors, it`s now completley taken over my life i`m like a dog with a bone and i`m never going to give up,so no doubt there will be more posts and swearing.
Thanks again everybody for your suggestions, help and time.
Hi there all,

Sorry to bring an old conversation back. I am having very similar issue. My car had been stood for a couple of weeks, and I went to use it, but battery was dead. So, I charged my battery overnight, & car worked fine. But...Very next day, (today) went to use it and battery is flat again. Battery itself was only bought last year, so hope its not the battery. No idea why it is suddenly draining the battery overnight. Its a Saab 93 Vector 1.9TiD Convertible.

Any suggestions guys? I am no mechanic, so if its not a simple fix it will go to garage to be looked at.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 06 V6. My trouble was with the ism. Was having fob issue and rebuilt the ism and battery trouble has gonna away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
often its the amplifier 1 ,it get damp damage after a while, under the seat on saloons,in the side
trim panel by the rear seat on convertible

1 - 16 of 16 Posts