Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Battery Drain

Tags
battery drain
3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ksowden1 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to check and narrow down what is causing battery drain. I've tried using a multimeter switched to the 10 amp position but I just get a 1 reading and the battery wears down in around 8/10 hours and I've tried 3 different batteries!

#2 ·
When you say a '1 reading' do you mean 1 amp or overrange? Is the meter wired up correctly? (You usually have to insert the positive test lead into a different socket on digital meters) Is the fuse OK? If the drain is over 10A and the meter can handle it without popping a fuse, the easiest way to pinpoint a drain like this is systematically remove each fuse in the fusebox, looking to check if the meter reading drops to near zero each time you take a fuse out. Hopefully you will be able to pinpoint the circuit at fault.

Hope this helps

julian

#5 ·
A decent battery if left out-of-the-car will last for several weeks before it ought to be trickle charged. A fully discharged battery if just left will be made u/s. Also when a battery gets very low it can be difficult to charge up again with the simple types of battery chargers.

#6 ·
Sorry to seem like I am decieving anyone here, but it is actually a Nissan Sunny with nothing of any real note to drain the battery down. It's just I've tried everything almost, the testmeter is a draper electronic display one. 1989agoodvintage, drop it down and I'll charge it if you want, for god's sake dont pay for it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.