Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to check and narrow down what is causing battery drain. I've tried using a multimeter switched to the 10 amp position but I just get a 1 reading and the battery wears down in around 8/10 hours and I've tried 3 different batteries!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
When you say a '1 reading' do you mean 1 amp or overrange? Is the meter wired up correctly? (You usually have to insert the positive test lead into a different socket on digital meters) Is the fuse OK? If the drain is over 10A and the meter can handle it without popping a fuse, the easiest way to pinpoint a drain like this is systematically remove each fuse in the fusebox, looking to check if the meter reading drops to near zero each time you take a fuse out. Hopefully you will be able to pinpoint the circuit at fault.

Hope this helps

julian

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Mine's just gone flat after only a week, I am not amused as I have no recharger at home so I've gotta pay a bloke to sort it.

I think it may be my alarm as it's pretty old and not a branded unit, that or the broken Air Con.

·
Registered
657 Posts
A decent battery if left out-of-the-car will last for several weeks before it ought to be trickle charged. A fully discharged battery if just left will be made u/s. Also when a battery gets very low it can be difficult to charge up again with the simple types of battery chargers.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to seem like I am decieving anyone here, but it is actually a Nissan Sunny with nothing of any real note to drain the battery down. It's just I've tried everything almost, the testmeter is a draper electronic display one. 1989agoodvintage, drop it down and I'll charge it if you want, for god's sake dont pay for it!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, it ain't, the [expletive deleted] can make handheld DVD players before any of us have got the full sized thing, but they can't put glovebox or Bootlid lights in their motors!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.