Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys, but this isn't a SAAB issue, but I hope you'll be able to give me some pointers.

Wife left the radio on in her Tigra overnight, flat battery this morning. So she went off the work in the spare 900 instead. When I then connected the Maxamp 4amp trickle charger to the Tigra it demonstrated an unusual pattern, with the needle swinging over to full charge and then back to no charge in cycles of about 10 seconds (briefly at full, then resting at zero for 10 seconds).

I've not seen this before whenever I've used it on any of the other cars. Any ideas as to what's wrong.

Incidentally, the Tigra has just come back from the garage after having a new cylinderhead gasket fitted, but functioned ok for the forst couple of days, other than showing "safe" on the radio, which I guess means the battery was disconnected. I've not yet got round to checking the manual and (probably) re-entering the radio code.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My guess is the battery is either so totally flat it's essentially a short circuit across the charger or it really has severla cells shorted out. Most cheap chargers use a simple thermal trip to detect over current which resets itself when it cools down and then has another go.

Try popping a voltmeter across the battery - you should get around 12V with no charge and no load, rising to about 13.5V on charge. Anything less than this and it's not in good shape

1 - 3 of 3 Posts