Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm busy at the moment getting my audio system configured. but I'm having some trouble with the bass in the music. I've a 500 Watt subwoofer playing in the boot. Connected (bridged) to a 4x 150 watt amplifier.
When the bootlid is open man what a noise 4 car's standing next to mine put on the alarm system. But when the bootlid is closed. All I hear is the high ends and no bass. I've changed my rear speakers into Sony two ways. And removed the seperate tweeters from the old install out of the frame. For air and sound getting out of the boot. It seems not to be enough. Does anyone of you have other suggestions.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I agree with lizard
I have a 4x500 watt amp driving the front speakers and bridged to a mission sub in the boot
the sub does not give out masses of bass but it is tight and you can certainly hear /feel it
there is a fair amount of leakage around the hatch cover so if its working you should hear it

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The problem you've got is that, compared to most cars, the back end and boot/trunk section of the 9000 is very solidly built- the parcel shelf for example is 13mm multilayer plywood.

So, if you put a sub box in the boot, you're effectively placing it within another enclosure. Most subs in boxes rely on the parcel shelf not being very thick/rigid/heavy and thus behaving like a passive radiator- this is not the case with a 9000.

There are, therefor two ways to get effective bass efficiently from a 9000- either mount free air subs in the parcel shelf (I've done this with 2 x 10 with 100W rms each and it's more than enough) or use a sub box that's a coupled cavity design which you run a hose from the output port to a convenient outlet in th epassenger compartment. You can probably manage this in rear side trim rather than the parcel shelf.

Thinking about it, I suppose the other less neat way you could do it now you've got the box is to cut a couple of holes at least the same surface area of the driver you are using in the parcel shelf. You could then re-cover the shelf with fabric to hide the holes.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been thinking about Using portals to mount in the parcelshelf. As mounted in my sub. But then again I don't want holes in it. The hose on the portal on the sub-casing may be a good idea. Thanks. Gonna try to figure it out how to build it in. In a "Clean" way.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Injectie:
[qb]I've been thinking about Using portals to mount in the parcelshelf. As mounted in my sub. But then again I don't want holes in it. The hose on the portal on the sub-casing may be a good idea. Thanks. Gonna try to figure it out how to build it in. In a "Clean" way. [/qb][/b]
Beware- if you just simply extend the current port outlets it will completely mis-tune the bass loading and sound awful. You also won't really get any of the box output directly from the driver. You need, as I said, to use a coupled cavity configuration specifically dsigned for this.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by sgould:
[qb]...but a car system has to shake the street .....    [/qb][/b]
Yes, I've been deeply frustated that mine can't do that. Even with the two 10" drivers with about 25mm p-p excursion being loud enough to wobble my eyeballs in car, it's still barely audible outside .

I really must go and buy a cheaper, thinner panelled, less solidly built ricemobile instead

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If i really want to perform at this time I just put the parcel shelf onto the floor letting alt he sound blow freely in the air. It is just such trouble evertime before getting into the car first removing the parcel shelf and after getting out to put it back in place. There must be an easy solution to this I think.
As I don't want people to see whats in the boot. At my parents house a kid down the street with a ford Fiesta Had left his parcel shelf out or one night because he was making a new one. Came to the car the next day drivers window out boot open sub and amplifier both gone

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by sgould:
[qb] ...but a car system has to shake the street .....       [/qb][/b]
Yes, I've been deeply frustated that mine can't do that. Even with the two 10" drivers with about 25mm p-p excursion being loud enough to wobble my eyeballs in car, it's still barely audible outside .

I really must go and buy a cheaper, thinner panelled, less solidly built ricemobile instead
[/qb][/b][/quote]Put the aircon out of order and drive with your windows open. People will hear it that way

1 - 11 of 11 Posts