Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi to all
just got time today to fit up a temp tim boost gauge, so on a nice quiet road i give it some lead boot this is what i got. a reading
just over 0.64 bar which droped to just over 0.55
so i take it this is not advisable on a auto 9000 200bhp aero which i wos told 0.3 to 0.5

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Lizard, how are you testing to get these readings? Mine boosts to 1.1bar - but that is not the base boost

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Lizard,

Is that you bas boost? if so why is it varying?, or are you saying your max boost was only 0.64 bar. It take it you either poped the APC fuse, pulled the APC plug or were gently left foot braking to get the figures.

I dropped the boost gauge back into the Carly today (after it's new head gasket) and it's base boost is 7.5psi (0.5 bar) and is peak boost from 2500-4000 is 19psi (1.3bar)

Andrew

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this dont sound right then ive had some thought that the car dont pull right. well once i fitted the gauge i took the car out not from a standing start car wos in 2nd (auto) i floored it with out hitting kick down the gauge shot to over 0.6 almost 0.8 then it stated to drop as speed increased to over 0.5

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
That all sounds low.

I would expect to see about 1.00 bar at 2500-3500 rpm and dropping down to about 0.75 after 4500rpm.

Base boost should be about 0.4bar.

You need to check the base boost first, if it's much too high, or too low you will not see the correct peak boost's or low end pickup.

Once you have your base boost set correctly, you can then start too look at why you are not getting the correct full boost (if settig the base boost and adapting doesn't cure it).

Andrew

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so to set basic boost do the test drive full throttle press brake so trionic drops boost then note pressure or have i lost it

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Scaero (Maptun stg3):
[qb]I would expect to see about 1.00 bar at 2500-3500 rpm and dropping down to about 0.75 after 4500rpm.[/qb][/b]
Not on an auto. Max boost should be 0.85 bar, if I remember correctly. Lizard's technique sounds correct - full throttle with a little brake at the same time. Take the measurement around 3000 RPM.

[Edit] Forgot to say basic boost pressure for the 200hp engine should be around 0.40 bar.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Originally posted by lizard:
[qb]so to set basic boost do the test drive full throttle press brake so trionic drops boost then note pressure or have i lost it  
       [/qb][/b]
Do you really want to do that on an auto
?

Easiest way to test base boost is to disconnect the electrical connector from the APC solenoid (on the rad cowling, right side as you look from the front). That will reduce your car to base boost. Accelerate hard and you won't see boost go above base level (0.3-0.4 bar). BTW It was 0.35bar on mine today (Stg1 2.3LPT) : exactly where Abbott's said it should be.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Do you really want to do that on an auto   ?[/b]
Only enough to bring on the brake lights, not to brake heavily and mash the auto box.

Better to drop the boost down to base than try to raise up to it?

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by Marky:
[qb]Scaero, sorry for going off topic, but is your carly standard? [/qb][/b]
Yes except it's lost it's cat.

It has a massive mid range boost, but by 5000rpm it's down at 10-12psi which means it is only able to generate about 220bhp (204 at the last RR session just before a new headgasket). When it was only producing 16psi peaks it gave 270ftlb, now it's back to 19psi it should be nearer 300ftlb again

It's probably producing the same power as Jason's again.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
[qb] QUOTE
Do you really want to do that on an auto   ?[/b]
Only enough to bring on the brake lights, not to brake heavily and mash the auto box.

Better to drop the boost down to base than try to raise up to it?

Andrew [/qb][/b][/quote]Better still to limit the car to base boost for test runs and adjust accordingly?

·
Registered
204 Posts
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by Marky:
[qb] Scaero, sorry for going off topic, but is your carly standard? [/qb][/b]
Yes except it's lost it's cat.

It has a massive mid range boost, but by 5000rpm it's down at 10-12psi which means it is only able to generate about 220bhp (204 at the last RR session just before a new headgasket). When it was only producing 16psi peaks it gave 270ftlb, now it's back to 19psi it should be nearer 300ftlb again

It's probably producing the same power as Jason's again.

Andrew [/qb][/b][/quote]Thank you for that information. Now I know what to expect once the head gasket is done

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks alot 4 info guys
iam gonner go 4 disconnect the apc and try that. the left foot brake is a bit hard (no foot) long story . trying it to night. nice one again i let yous no what results i get

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hi again disconected the apc got a boost a tip over 0.4 bar so thats my basic boost? and once reconected i get a boost of 0.67 bar which drops to 0.54 my aero auto is standard apart from re-valve,jt60 cat back, jt air filter so is this ok or should the boost be more
cheers

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Your base boost sounds about right. If you haven't done so already, I would try the adaptation procedure on BillJ's 9000 site (link at bottom of page) to see if that restores maximum boost/performance.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i be trying the adatation run to night i let use no what happens, oh yer any one no what number fuse to pull

1 - 20 of 30 Posts