Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All
I know this is a bit of an old one but here goes.

I recently changed the hoses that go from the manifold to the small sensor located on the bulkhead, the one with the short stubby pipe on the left....
Since then the car will only develop what appears on the gauge to be base boost, halfway up the yellow.I have a bleed valve which I have not altered and it used to boost to the start of the solid red.

I have checked the wastegate link rod and it is all in place, am running on optimax, and have done a number of adaption runs.
The funny thing is, there seems to be no loss in performance, it still does the 40-60 time in 3rd as fast as the Saab Aero book I have says it should.
The hoses I fitted feel quite soft where the old ones were pretty rigid ad I wondered if they could be collapsing under vacuum.

Any advice much appreciated.
On a brighter note, polybushed the rear ARB and the butterfly bushes...handles lovely now.

Cheers all
Ant

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Is that a steady base boost, or does it waver?

The pipes to the bulkhead unit with the stubby pipe on the lefthas nothing to do with boost as it is the trip/overide for the TCS throttle to latch in the limp home cable throttle wire.

That goes from the inlet to the black valve, and then via a 1 way valve to the top of the tcs body.

What I would chack is that you have not damaged or dislodged the pipe that fits to the very bottom of the TCS throttle body, the pipes in the other valave on the passenger wing, the pipe to the dump valave and the connection at the Y piece just back and to the left of the bottom of the battery tray (one leg goes up to the inlet manifold so you can hunt it back from there.

Andrew

·
Registered
14 Posts
The vacuum hose that attaches to the turbo gauge, originates at the intake manifold.
That hose connects to a Y-fitting. One leg of the Y goes to the "dump" valve, the other
goes through the false bulkhead, in the same
grommet as the heater hoses. It then goes throught the inside wall of the bulkhead and
eventually gets to the gauge.

If the gauge is reading anything, the hose is probably intact.

For base boost problems, first check the wastegate actuator rod, cruise control switch on the clutch/brake pedal, all the vacuum line, and then the BPC valve.

Good luck,

jj

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
One leg of the Y goes to the "dump" valve[/b]
REmember that as this is probably a TCS car (from the original description, the pipe to the dump valve goes through futher convelutions which can effect viewed boost on the indash guage (hence me asking if it were a continuous base boost of a wavering one).

Andrew

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help gents, much appreciated!
The boost will hold steady and it is not seeming to effect performance so it is a bit puzzling.

I've been too busy getting a few bits sorted for the MOT to have much of a look so I will have a look about tomorrow.

Cheers
Ant

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys

Just to update in case anyone else gets the same problem, I finally located this to a split hose that comes from the inlet manifold and joins into the Y piece just below the battery tray. Crafty little thing had split half way round so looked OK from the top!!!

Thanks for the tips, you were all spot on!

Ta
Ant

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.