Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been to Costco and have seen some veritable motoring bargains. I picked up a pack of Rain X glass cleaner and treatment for about £5.99 + vat. Also got one of those rubber wiping blades with which you dry your car for around £3.50 + vat. Also saw the cheap and nasty Chevron synthetic oil for £9.99 and Mobil 1 for £21.99. Also of interest was a twin pack of 1 litre STP injection cleaner, enough for 4 treatments in each bottle. What do you guys reckon to this?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've used the Chevron 5w40 synth in my C900 T16S, seems fine. Before that I was using Halfords 5w40 fully synth.

Lasted as well as the halfords. Stayed in the engine better than the Halfords that seems to go thin a little earlier.

I change every 3k anyway, so even cheaper fully synth is going to get hammered completly. And the Chevron is half the price of even Halfords.

My local Costco only had 0w40 Mobil1. didn't fancy chukcing that into a 130k T16, thought it might go through the end seals a bit quick.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only call the Chevron stuff cheap and nasty because a member here had major engine problems after using it. Probably a coincidence more than not.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
When I was a lad, I remember seeing Chevron petrol stations! What happened to them? I've been tempted by that oil for intermediate oil changes or engine flushes. Mind you, been tempted by those pizzas too

·
Registered
428 Posts
You can still see Chevron filling stations... in the USA.

As for National / Regent/ many others.....afraid they have gone the way of Green Shield Stamps

·
Registered
451 Posts
Originally posted by AL900S:
[qb]When I was a lad, I remember seeing Chevron petrol stations! What happened to them? I've been tempted by that oil for intermediate oil changes or engine flushes. Mind you, been tempted by those pizzas too    [/qb][/b]
Oh Costco Pizza. Hmm. Nice, especially the meat fest ones (or whatever they call it).
Even one slice as a take out is filling enough.

A whole 18" pizza is the nuts.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
The other good value items for me are the car starter/compressor thing for under 30 quid and the Snooper SR6 neo for less than £300.

David.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
that car starter/compressor is really good ..
My boys (and I ) have a fleet of dodgy cars and it really gives you peace of mind having that in the boot ...
Also when you run low profiles you need to be able to blow them up if they lose pressure
I have destroyed a tyre in less than a mile trying to get it to the nearest garage

And that 18" Pizza
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

And for you carnivores out there
their fillet steak is the best I have ever had ....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like Halfords are doing the usual BOGOF offer on their synthetic oil again. How do you guys rate that?

Its a real shame that Costco don't do 18" pies because I'm sure some members of the board would really appreciate that!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
AndyVo,

do Costco sell tyres?? If so, is there a good saving to be had on say, Goodyear NCT5 215/55R16?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Costco just do Michelins, they stock the full range and the prices are discounted. Never bought tyres from them in the past though.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I would recommend the large apple pie and the custard and apple danish.

I bought some of the Chevron and mentioned it to a mechanic friend (RR/Bently trained BMW master tech and workshop foreman at Porsche) he said the Chevron was good oil. He also laughs at the fully synthetic 6k oil changes.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Originally posted by Andyvo:
[qb]Costco just do Michelins, they stock the full range and the prices are discounted.  Never bought tyres from them in the past though. [/qb][/b]
I bought tyres for the citreon from the Costo in Liverpool, 14*55*195 were £54 each inc fitting. For the Saab they were £70 each inc fitting (15*65*195)

National were doing an offer on Gislaved 4 @ £51 inc fitting, then 10% off if booked over the Web.

·
Registered
94 Posts
hi guys
i am never out of costco and have saved my self a fortune i bought two bosch silver batterys for both my saabs and they were half price at 35 quid each the type no is 6c, and do all the 2.3 range of engines. i cant remember seing mobil one for 21 quid but i do change my oil at budget tyres and exhausts they do mobil one and filter for 29 quid which is good value. i have also looked at the chevron stuff but am not sure whether it will substitute mobil one and it is rather cheap not to be a snob or any thing but i like the best and any feed back on this chevron at costco would be appreciated. i to have bought mitchelen pilot 195/65/15s at costco they were 70 quid fitted each and budget were cherging 105.00 yes 105.00 quid for the same tyre so costco is the place.
regards
kimo saabi

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi guys,
Getting off the costco bit even though you can pick up some bargains and the Pizza slices(take out) are out of this world......I got a puncture last week and so I went down to my local Hi-Q tyre fitters and got quoted £99.00 for a Pirelli 6000 115/55/16 fitted so while I was there I had the fronts rebalanced too for a total of £104.00 and they even put the weights on the inside of the rims!!!!!!
Cheers Jim.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts