Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody see yesterday's 'Honest John' in The Telegraph? Someone with a 65k mile, 2.3 turbo '97 manual 9K, full service history, wrote in for pricing advice to sell it - HJ told him 'ask £2K and prepare to settle for £1500'. Sounds like a steal for someone - he's in Cheltenham and his initials are JM. Should be traceable, if not via Telegraph Motoring desk then, possibly, via local SAAB dealer in Cheltenham.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene jayboy!

Sorry to confuse you - I just think black is the least practical colour (?) ever put on a car - it might look great when its new, but after a few years it gets really tatty, all the scratch and even polish marks show etc. Just a personal opinion, and I know that others on the forum will have equally compelling reasons as to why its the only colour to have!

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Black is my favorite colour especially for Aeros and Carlssons, particularly the 900 Carlsson.

Yes it shows dirt but boy does it look good when polished. IMHO my old 9000 CD Carly look really mean in black and at 215k the paint work was still excellent. Other advantage is it hides rust the best and is very easy to colour match.

Unfortunately I now have a red 2.3T that has fadded, a silver Aero that is a big to match and a white 900 T16S Convertible that really shows dirt. But then colour is always the least of my worries when buying the right car.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian:
[qb]But then colour is always the least of my worries when buying the right car. [/qb][/b]
Totally agree with you there - would much rather have a car that goes well and handles well and only looks OK rather than one that looks top notch but is mechanically unsound

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The car sounds like a good buy.

Silver is generally reconned to be best colour for not showing the dirt.

Interesting to hear how bad black is at showing dirt, but one redeaming factor IMHO is it looks incredibly smart, dignified and imposing when clean!

I wonder if it is any less 'visible' than silver, though? I guess that depends on time of day and lighting conditions, etc.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
In Cheltenham Black Saab 9000s are totally invisible and totally silent. Little old ladies simply step out in front of me, drivers pull out and cut me up and look suprised when they hear the horn.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
At that price I think 'Honest John' wanted a 9000 for himself!
I can vouch that black is a right royal pain to keep looking good, but whan it does !
Since buying my current car i've realised any 'mid-toned' colour will hide the dirt most effectivly, Eucalyptus Green is my favorite.
Nick.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello, thanks for the welcome!

I agree they look really good in black, and yeah it is a pain to keep clean, and the scratches if any are hard to hide in the sun.

Trying to decide on what to buy still, think it'll be a 9000, my old man had one for 6 years, an early '85 turbo. He basically neglected it, with only minimal servicing and did about 70k in 6 years in it, I always wanted one after driving it.
Thing is all the ones for sale sound good until i see the word auto
not for me.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Originally posted by jayboy:
[qb]Thing is all the ones for sale sound good until i see the word auto    :rolleyes:    not for me. [/qb][/b]
The Auto does have its good points - its very good when you are crawling through town, or stuck on the motorway and I have got used to mine. But having said that the performance compared to my brothers 2.3FPT 5 speed CD is just not there.... even if I can still leave lots of other cars standing

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've just always been aware of how much more auto boxes fetch from breakers etc - in the event of a failure. Only want to spend about £1500 on a car so I wouldn't want to pay for a rebuilt box!
Looking for a 2.3 FPT CSE manual ideally, I will find one, seen a couple of nice Aeros go on ebay too, but for that money maybe a gamble. I might get a lesser spec for a year or so until I can soend more on an aero...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Back to the HJ article: I e-mailed him same day last Saturday, asked him to pass my details to the seller.
Got a reply on Sunday from HJ: Seller had already sold it to a Saab club buyer Smart move really, obviously knew it would fetch more at that mileage if advertised in the right places.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.