Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people had disconnected balancing shafts in their 2.0T engines by removing the chain,
instead of using a replacement kit (new chain and controlles).

Does this affect the engine performance and service life?

Thanks,

AG

·
Registered
96 Posts
Performance - a minuscule gain in HP
Service Life - unaffected

Engine vibration will be slightly more harsh but it's easy enough to get used to and it's worth it to not have to worry about the chains breaking. If you remove the shafts, be sure to blank them off or your valve train will starve for oil.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi
I read somewhere that very early GM900s (including the n/a 2.0) didn't have balance shafts. The 2.0T had 190bhp without and 185 with.
HTH
Al

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi
I read somewhere that very early GM900s (including the n/a 2.0) didn't have balance shafts. The 2.0T had 190bhp without and 185 with.
HTH
Al[/b]
Pre-1990 didn't have balance shafts. The first to get balancers was the N/A followed later by the turbo engines. All NGs have them.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
All NG900 (GM900) didn't get balance shafts. In the US you got the New Generation (otherwise called GM900) a little later than in the UK/EU - the first ones came out here in 1993 without balance shafts for approx a year. I don't know why though. I will dig out the info.

Cheers
Al

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Looks like removing the chain and the plastics (why plastics? ceramis might be better...)
is enough. The balancers may stay there, just disconnected.

AG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts