Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys,

Mrs P @ K's '02 Cabrio recently died about 10 miles from home. Thinking it was a duff battery or alternator I went on a recovery trip to get it going again. Started straight away with a jump from the Aero battlewagon and swapped cars so I could take it home. Now the strangeness starts. As I moved off, it 'bonged' once and the oil light came on for a couple of seconds. Since I was halfway around a roundabout I had to carry on. Light now off and everything looked fine so I continued home. Flat road, light traffic so set the cruise at 60. About 5 miles later there was a sort of hic-cup and the car started to slow. Dropped it out of cruise and the throttle gave no response. Re-engaged cruise and it carried on about at about 50. Wasn't happy so pulled in at the first available spot whence it died. Wouldn't restart - battery flat - apparently.

Very nice man in a yellow van arrived about 1 hour later. Restarted with a jump but sounded pretty rough. Checked alternator and was found to be OK. In view of the rough running towed me home. Here it restarted on its own and I reversed it off the road. Seemed smooth. A couple of days later moved it to its carport, again smooth, as it was when I brought it out to put on ramps and drop the sump. All went easily ( photographed the procedure intending to post as a 'how to' then found a crushed bearing in the sump together with a load of filings and sludge in the sump. This has the number 09-02 (Trade mark) 9172230/5490

I suspect that it is a balancer shaft bearing. There are some marks on the front ( exhaust ) shaft and dents in the oil return pipe from the turbo just below that. The Haynes manual is less than helpful about replacing the bearings suggesting "The bearings inside the cylinder block should also be examined. If these are excessively worn or damaged, get advice from a Saab dealer or engine reconditioner."

OK, so the question is - Can the balancer shafts be removed with the engine in situ and likewise, can the bearing be replaced ?

Paul @ Kippen

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guys,

Been trying to source a bearing to no avail. Any ideas ? Also attached a photo of marks on shaft. Absence of bearing in the proper position confirmed by shining a light through the 'empty' journal.

Paul @ Kippen

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys,

Mrs P @ K's '02 Cabrio recently died about 10 miles from home. Thinking it was a duff battery or alternator I went on a recovery trip to get it going again. Started straight away with a jump from the Aero battlewagon and swapped cars so I could take it home. Now the strangeness starts. As I moved off, it 'bonged' once and the oil light came on for a couple of seconds. Since I was halfway around a roundabout I had to carry on. Light now off and everything looked fine so I continued home. Flat road, light traffic so set the cruise at 60. About 5 miles later there was a sort of hic-cup and the car started to slow. Dropped it out of cruise and the throttle gave no response. Re-engaged cruise and it carried on about at about 50. Wasn't happy so pulled in at the first available spot whence it died. Wouldn't restart - battery flat - apparently.

Very nice man in a yellow van arrived about 1 hour later. Restarted with a jump but sounded pretty rough. Checked alternator and was found to be OK. In view of the rough running towed me home. Here it restarted on its own and I reversed it off the road. Seemed smooth. A couple of days later moved it to its carport, again smooth, as it was when I brought it out to put on ramps and drop the sump. All went easily ( photographed the procedure intending to post as a 'how to' then found a crushed bearing in the sump together with a load of filings and sludge in the sump. This has the number 09-02 (Trade mark) 9172230/5490

I suspect that it is a balancer shaft bearing. There are some marks on the front ( exhaust ) shaft and dents in the oil return pipe from the turbo just below that. The Haynes manual is less than helpful about replacing the bearings suggesting "The bearings inside the cylinder block should also be examined. If these are excessively worn or damaged, get advice from a Saab dealer or engine reconditioner."

OK, so the question is - Can the balancer shafts be removed with the engine in situ and likewise, can the bearing be replaced ?

Paul @ Kippen
Hello Paul,

How you reslved this problem?

Best regards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts