Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally changed the gearbox oil on my '96 2.3CSE LPT manual. It's now done 125K and the 2nd & 3rd synchros were getting baulky. Seeing how some Saabsceners have tried an oilchange to stave off the impending rebuild, I thought I'd chance my arm.

Having got the sump plug off, what does anyone think of the first image - nothing to worry about or bad news? The top of the magnet had approx 5mm of 'gloop' plus spiky bits. (Clean plug in 2nd image for comparison)

Having read a lot of threads re. g'box oil, I flushed twice & refilled with plain old Castrol GTX 15w50, and 3,000 miles later the baulking has all but gone (& no leaks) - I just hope that when the temperatures drop the viscocity from cold won't be an issue...

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
It's possible that Photobox will not allow it's images to be viewed outside of their site. I couldn't even see the image by pasting the link into my browser bar! Wanted me to register.

I use www.fotango.com now - this does let you show pics outside of the site.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I wouldn't think that's much to worry about after 125K miles, especially as your gearchange has been "baulky" so you'd expect a little material to have been worn off.

If it's all fine particles, then no problem. If there are any larger pieces there (shavings or chips), then it merits closer examination.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts