Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everybody, it's almost the first time I post on this board and I'n not sure I'll be able to explain my problem right. English isn't my native language.
My problem is that I noticed, during an head gasket job, that 11 of my 16 valves weren't closing well, because the cam followers weren't short enough to let the valve raise enough to close. I can feel in the 5 good followers a spring that can be compressed y the pressure of a thumb, but in the others the spring is like it was siezed in the extended position. I tried to leave the head on the table with the "long" valves opened, in order to "press" the long followers (=lifters), but their length didn't changed of a 1/100 of mm. I siezed one of the in a vice, for half an hour, some oil came out but the length didn't changed again.
Now I don't know what to do. Is there a way to unlock them, fastly and cheaply, or do I have to buy new ones (about 34 euros each!)? Can I cut 2 mm in the top of the vlves, in order to compensate the longer lifter? can I exchange them with non-hydraulic lifters?

thanks for your answers.

Stefano

ps: I have a '87 9000T16

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, Stefano.

Oil should be able to leak out of the follower and perhaps the passage is blocked. I would try to fix this or replace the follower, instead of cutting the valves. I don't know about valves on the Saab engine, but on other engines, the top of the valve is hardened. If you cut it, you will lose the hard part on the end.

I have heard of people using compressed air to blow hydraulic followers apart to clean them inside, but I would say you need to be very careful as it can obviously be dangerous.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sorry as he is italian and explained he might not of explained it properly. I thought it would be a good idea to explain to him in his own langauge. I am sure I would appreciate it if I contacted germany and they replied in english. I virtually said what Bill has without the compressed air. and also to check for sticking valves

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advices, gelcoat and BIll! Gelcoat, you were very kind in ansering me in italian, I was very surprised when I red it. But I believe that I'm more able in understanding english than in writing it, so don't worry about what you write, if I don't understand I'll ask explanations, I swear ;-)
I like to improve my english while improving my car too!

I brought the lifters to a engine shop, they say they are able to open and clean them. The guy I talked to wasn't impressed much about seeing a siezed lifter, he saied that it's normal when people forget to change their oil. It seemed routine for him. I never missed an oil change, but I'm the third owner and I know nothing about the first 12 years of the car. I hope they will not charge me too much.
Besides, I've already put the head in the car, the engine is only waiting cam followers, camshaft and cam cover.
I can't wait to see the "performance gain" I got just letting the valves close properly!

I'll keep you informed.

Thanks again

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
gelcoat, don't get me wrong, what you did was commendable in welcoming someone else, but unfortunately us moderators don't speaka da lingo!

Just checking- I'm not saying you would but there's always the possibility that someone else could post something offensive in another language that we wouldn't realise.

All in the spirit of keeping a happy board, you see!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today I had my lifters back from the shop. they rebulted all of them for just 30 euros. I put the car toghether and went for a drive, it runs very smooth and powerul, after the lifters filled up with oil at least. The engine now has developped a "voice" it didn't had before, it has become very throaty and growly over 3500. I think I like it.

thanks again for the help and for listening my rants.

Ah, one more thing: gelato is icecream but I don't know how many people are intersted in that.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hi stefano. glad you like your car now it is running properly. Spent 3 days in Rome last week, cold but still a lovely city.might get round to you sometime. Just don't get carried away and take on a 550 F1

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't thought that an Englishman could define Rome a cold city...
Next time you're around let me know, we could organize a little "Saab Meeting".

Don't worry about the 550, if it's the Ferrari Maranallo that you're talking about, I don't plan to get one in a couple of years...
I hope you're not referring to Yamaha XT550 instead, I have one an I wouldn't separate...

Cheers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.