Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just inspected and driven and PURCHASED!! a lovely 9000CSE 2.3FPT Anniversary Auto - '98 on an R plate with 75k FSSH + a huge wodge of bills & receipts in support,from, of all places, a Saab Dealer !!. Spoke to them monday, had the call 2hrs later that they were taking one in as p/x thursday night, deal done today.....including the repair of the only parking ding on the car, otherwise in great condition. Car is fully loaded with toys, all of which work (trust me, it took 40mins to slowly work way through and around the car checking )

The point is, none of this would've been possible without the help of Saabscene and it's members. The amount i've learnt and read about these cars over the last couple of months has made buying much less fraught than it could've been, so i'd like to take this opportunity to say a big thank you to you all

Take me now God, I't can't get any better than this.........

Oh Yes

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Price was £5250 which is highish i'll agree but not as bad as the ones I've been looking at via the net.....and this one is slap on my doorstep, so i swallowed hard and said yes.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Price is maybe a bit on the high side, but with the peace of mind of buying from a dealer (with a warranty etc. presumably) I don't think you've done too bad. Also, it's not as ridiculous as the £7k plus you still see them for in dealers.

Anyway, congratulations! I've had mine for a week now and still can't get over how cool - and bl**dy quick
it is.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well done Gonzo.
I'm in the market myself and went to look at three 9000s on Friday at around £1500 to check out this end of the market. All had serious flaws eg an "ecopower" that had no turbo ( it was a plain "2.0i) , a 2.3 CSE FTP that was advertised as an LPT , done 92k on it's second engine & turbo with thick blue smoke issuing from under the bonnet after a 10 mile test drive( "it's because I've not used it for a while") as well as ABS and SRS warning lights constantly on, a 2.3 CSE LPT with sinister , bulging rust on the inside rear tailgate piller.
I was trying to resure myself that I wasn't mad to consider Saab dealers. The bottom line
(obvious really) is that you get nothing for free and there are a rapidly diminishing pool of good 9000s out there and the dealers have all the best ones. You may be lucky to get an old rich , retired doctor selling off his beloved 9000, due to a hip replacement, for peanuts ( hey this is my fantasy don't laugh) but you have to have patience, scan the ads like an eagle and act fast.
I think you did OK, how much is a couple of year's hassle free motoring in an Anniversary worth, compared to the "I hate my fecking car" scenario when things just keep going wrong on your "bargain" buy. I have been there, and peace of mind cost money( usually, but you never know....)

·
Registered
213 Posts
My dream came true,

just bought my M'reg 9000 cse 2.3 FPT for 1500, been serviced every 6000, loads of history, plus some goodies, its not a perfect car, but with a little tlc.

Its the biggest car I have ever owned, but the simile on face is still bigger!!!!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Wonderful to see so many HAPPY people! Smiling's infectious, isn't it?

Enjoy your trip to Stirling, say hello to Cambusbarron (wife from there) and Bridge of Allan (used to live there) for me, please.

And watch out when you hit that nice bit of the M6 north of Lancaster, where the traffic has diminished and the clear, winding road makes your right foot twitch ...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I made a concious decision to spend as much as i did because it has to act as my work vehicle as well as something i can enjoy. The combination of space, reliability (fingers crossed!!)and the ability to cope with 150-200k of motoring without seeming to succumb to too much general decay and corrosion were really the factors that pushed me toward Saab in general and the 9000 in particular. The alternative was to look at something like a 2yr old Ford Mondeo for more money, but I KNOW that in 5yrs and 100K miles the Ford is gonna look and feel shot to bits (currently run a Mondeo diesel with 120K on clock and it is GRIM ).At least the 9K should age with grace......bit like me really

And Bunsen, I know what you mean : if there is a more hypnotic piece of road than the stretch between Carlisle and Gretna, I'd like to hear about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.