Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After several years in the motor wilderness I've finally got a SAAB back under me.

My last SAAB was an early 9000i which went some 5 years ago, but after a series of 'Euroboxes' I've seen sense and bought a 9000CSE 2.3 FPT Auto

I'm keen to get off on the right foot and am looking to do engine and transmission oil changes asap. I've read about a 3 stage transmission oil change involving 3 drains & fill ups but my mechanic isn't too convinced. As I would like to preserve a very sweet auto box for as long as possible I would appreciate some confirmation of the process. Also any other words of wisdom pertaining to 130k 94 car would be most welcome

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene!

As the owner of a MY94 FPT myself, I can only agree with your choice.

Engine oil change is easy enough, just make sure you use 0W-40 full synthetic (e.g. Mobil 1 or Castrol RS) or 5W-40 full synthetic from the likes of Shell or Esso, or Saab's branded full synthetic turbo oil. I assume and hope that the car has a proper "full synthetic" history.

As for the autobox, the fluid spec in 1994 was Dexron 2. This has been superceded by Dexron 3 which has a higher temperature range. The autobox and torque converter hold about 8 litres of fluid, but you can only drain out about 4 litres as there is no drain on the torque converter. So if you are in any doubt about the date of the last fluid change or the quality of fluid used, it would be a good idea to do more than one change right now. If you do a standard (4 litre) change, you will be left with 4 litres of old fluid in the 'box. If you run that around for a few miles, and than do another change, you will be left with 2 litres of old fluid in the 'box. A further quick change will leave you with 1 litre of old fluid in the box, after which it gets expensive for very little benefit. You should also change the (quite expensive) filter, taking care to make sure the O-ring is correctly installed on the new filter (it's easy to miss). Examine the old filter carefully for any signs of debris.

Having paid for a autobox overhaul recently, I now change the fluid at every service rather than at every other service. There is also a fluid additive approved by Saab, but I can't remember the name. I'm sure you'll find it with a search.

What colour is the car?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car is Midnight (dark blue metallic) and I think possibly slightly rare in having a sunroof as well as full climate control. I'm pretty sure it has been raised on a fully synthetic diet.

Can I take it from you comment Mark that I should be using Dexron 3 when I change transmission fluid?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Yes, Dexron 3 should be used. Dexron 2 has been superceded and you will find it is no longer supplied by the major lubricant manufacturers. The obvious choice is Castrol TQ Dexron III as it's the most readily available.

See this web page for the technical data sheet.

The additive is called Lubegard, and the details can be found here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.