Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi once more folks. Early next year I am due to become a father for the first time. As I intend keeping the 9000 I obviously want to fit a baby seat. Is it possible to switch off the passanger air bag (or get Saab to switch it off)? Thanks

·
Registered
231 Posts
Congratulations!

I wouldn't be without my two kids (24 & 20) as I'm hoping they will start taking care of me soon!

If you are going to carry your baby before it sits up, you can get carrycots that can be secured by the cental rear seat belt.

My handbook indicates that SAAB did sell seats (in '96) in three different sizes but, unless they do a part exchange, you could find yourself needing a replacement at at 6 monthly intervals!

Apparently, there are mounting points under the front seats that can be used to secure front and rear types but, since kids can't legally be carried in the front in an adult belt until they're 10 or 12, you might as well start him/her off in the back.

Anyway, the handbook reference to airbags clearly states that baby seats must be placed in the back, which suggests that it may not be possible to disable just the front one.

Something to consult a SAAB dealer about perhaps?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,
Doh! why didn't I think of looking in the handbook - it's been a long day. Yep I guess the young'un will have to learn to drive from the back! I thought that it might not be possible, but it's always worth asking the oracles who frequent this site.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Britax (www.britax.co.uk) have a fitment guide saying which of their seats fit where. From memory, pretty much any of their seats fits in any of the back seat positions, but nothing in the front (presumably because of the airbag).

The other place to try is Halfords - they have traiend staff who (in our experience) really do know their stuff and are quite happy to try seats in your car until you're happy.

Front isn't recommended in any case. It sounds convenient, but babies get used to the back, and you really do need to be concentrating on the driving, not easy with one hand holding the bottle!

> you can get carrycots that can be secured by the cental rear seat belt.

Also not recommended, unless you get one of the exceedingly rare carry cots that are designed for this. Backward facing car seats are suitable for babies from birth.

P. (whose youngest is 18 months)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I guess the sprog will go in the back then. That means the beer can go on the front seat for easy access!!!! (yes I'm joking before I get totally flamed)
I'll check out the seat fitting / suitability when next visiting Mothercare or wherever else we end up!

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.