Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Yeah I think just the Sintra and the Omega. Other Vauxhall derived models used the 2.5 V6 out of the 900. Calibra, Cavalier, Vectra and again Omega. Can't think of any other GM manufacturers that used the engine, not a bad engine other than the Cambelt change which is a bit of a nightmare....and can suffer from Head Gasket problem above the 100K mark....a friend had one for about 4 months, then got rid of when he drove my missus's 2.3 Turbo because the 3.0 it didn't have the kick in the back power of the Turbo. I drove it though and it was a fantastic cruiser...he was an old Golf GTI convert though so maybe the cruising ease and smoothness of the V6 was wasted on him!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by The Scrappy formerly known as KSow1:
[qb]Is that what you've got now then mate? Did you drop the 2.3 Turbo? [/qb][/b]
Nah, still got that car and it's currently being pampered at WMSS. Best Saab I've had yet so I'll be keeping it indefinitely.

I'm asking the question out of personal curiosity. I was inspired by Ian Wigg's project to put a 3.0V6 in his 900. Read more about that here and here .

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hi everyone

Just one thing I've noticed whilst searching around re the GM V6's. It seems that, as fair as I can make out, the Saab engines have a higher base BHP and torque figure than the Vauxhall/Opel ones. I don't know whether this is due to inlet design or whether Saab cams are a bit hotter (or both). I reckon the ideal choice would be a late model GM 3.2L V6 with Saab cams, unfortunately I couldn't afford one for my 900 so it's going to be another 3.0L. Not long to wait now!!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I have to say the only time I've been in a comparitvely engined Omega, the engine delivery felt completly different to the 3.0V6 in our 9000CSE.......the Saab unit 'feeling' the better engine by far....

What did Saab alter from the original Vauxhall/Opel unit.....?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Originally posted by aeropilot:
[qb]What did Saab alter from the original Vauxhall/Opel unit.....? [/qb][/b]
A) The GM unit uses a four-stage variable induction system, which is supposed to boost low-end torque, I don't know if the Saab does?
I suspected mine didn't work as it didn't want to pull much below 4000rpm.

B) Saab didn't put the engine in an overweight barge

Just try pushing an Omega
(Speaking as an ex-omega driver)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts