Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if the B235R block, or another Saab block, has oil squirters for the bottoms of the pistons.

If not I'm thinking of various ways one could go about retrofitting such things. It wouldn't be any use for a stock, or near stock, engine. But if any of the Saab blocks don't have them (or all of them don't) then for a really high performance engine they could make a big difference on long term reliability.

Just curious if anyone knows for sure. Much thanks.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well since the B204 block is more or less the same as the B234, and same with B235 and B205 ... it's only a matter of curiosity if the B202 and 212 blocks have it.

Right now I'm having a laugh at a friend with a WRX. He was so impressed that the SRT-4 had oil squirters for the pistons. Apparently everyone we've talked to says the EJ205 does not have them. Big disadvantage. They can cool the pistons up to 20% better than without, and cool pistons resist detonation far far better. Should be even funnier if the old B2x2 series Saabs have em. I'd get a real kick out of that. Apparently they're supposed to be a rarity on car engines (thought I've not proof, just that none of my close friend's turbo cars have them) ... the fact that even the cheaper of the new Saabs have em is quite amusing.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh well. The stock B2x2 motors didn't come anywhere close to needing them. The B204 has them because the B234R uses the same block and needs them. (why take them out when the plug to plug the hole costs about the same as the squirters)

At any rate ... I'm still laughing because I just found out the 2.5L USDM STi does not have them. Hard dee har har. No wonder that car has trouble making more than 15 psi of boost pressure. Each cyllinder has 80 cm^2 of surface area to absorb heat, and most of that heat has to travel all the way to the cyllinder bore to be absorbed by the coolant. Whereas the Saabs have about 64 cm^2, and extra cooling from the oil.

I think we all need to stop a minute to appreciate and thank Saab for making such dang nice engines. I never even fully appreciated it until I realized how flimsily other "performance" engines were built.

If only Saab advertised just how tough these engines were.
I bet they'd sell many more of them.

BTW EVS ... good job getting them installed.
Should be one heckuvuh car!

Dubbya~

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yes they are damn good engines in a SAAB but even if you fitted them to a WRX it would still blow up. The major problem with the EJ20 Subaru engine is when its tuned even slightly you MUST have a Knock Link fitted to keep an eye on the dredded DET.
They are also very very prone to MAF failure which before it fails leans the car out making it FEEL faster so some un suspecting owners make use of this extra speed and then wonder why the pistons melt.The other problem with the older Subaru is when above 110 MPH 'NO' air is passed through the bonnet scoop so the nice Intercooler becomes an even nicer Interwarmer = nice HOT charge air instead of cool,thats also why so many owners say 'After a good hard blast which was great,it started knocking'

Zippy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts