Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AZEV-A wheels in 17". What experience have people of these rims?
I've heard stories of premature corrosion and breakages.........any horror stories or hearty recommendations out there?

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Azev are generally regarded as one of the better quality wheel manufacturers. There are a few folk on SSc who have them on varying models- I'll move this to the performance forum for a wider response

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Dave,
Let me tell you of my experience of Azev A's.
I had them on a 1991 cde FPT. They had Bridgestone SO-3's on which have a very hard sidewall, giving little flex. Unfortunately the roads round my way are full of potholes, and i ended buckling two of them.
I think that if they had been fitted with a softer sidewalled tyre this may not have happened.

After all's said and done i still think they are a great wheel, definately one of the best looking wheels for older saabs.

Hope this helps
Tony

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
AZEV's are a style alloy wheel rather than a one designed say for motorsport, and as such this type of wheel tends to be of a softer alloy and more prone to buckling and bending out of shape.

My inclination would always lean towards the motorsport designed wheels rather than 'bling' ones....

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Being a technical type I agree with the sentiment, but who would shell out 500-ish if they didn't like the look of them?
I struggle to find anything I like that suits my 9000 except the 3-spoke Aeros (which you can only get in 16", and I want 17").

These stories of buckling still worry me.....how much of a whack did it take to buckle them? Enough to suprise you they buckled, or did you smash through pothole at 50 or something?

Dave

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Dave, Abbott's have got a set of refurbished 17" AZEV's for a 9000 for sale in the clearance part of their website, £400 for the set.

Cheaper way of trying than buying new....

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by dave225:
[qb]I struggle to find anything I like that suits my 9000 except the 3-spoke Aeros (which you can only get in 16", and I want   17").
[/qb][/b]
I quite like these which are a vaguely similar style Injectie's wheels

I don't know if they're any more robust, though

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by aeropilot:
[qb]Dave, Abbott's have got a set of refurbished 17" AZEV's for a 9000 for sale in the clearance part of their website, £400 for the set.

Cheaper way of trying than buying new....    [/qb][/b]
Well not really...

They have 4 refurb'd azev's for a 9000 for £400
or
1 brand new one (for a gm) for £95....

Andrew

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Scaero (Maptun stg3):
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by aeropilot:
[qb] Dave, Abbott's have got a set of refurbished 17" AZEV's for a 9000 for sale in the clearance part of their website, £400 for the set.

Cheaper way of trying than buying new....       [/qb][/b]
Well not really...

They have 4 refurb'd azev's for a 9000 for £400

[/qb][/b][/quote]Is there a parrot in the room.......

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
400 divided by 4 is £100 each. True enough but the theory might be that it's more difficult to get rid of one wheel, so they've got to discount it?? I don't really, know but I did notice the apparent discrepancy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts