Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Still really pleased with my Saab, but it's time to service once again. Being a coward (and still very much alive and wanting to stay that way!) I like to rest the car on axle stands once I've jacked the thing up to get underneath (for whatever reason I want to get underneath my car!). But where do I put the stands on a 95 9000 CSE Turbo? Up until now I've not always been happy with the places I have found to put the stands - any (polite)suggestions?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Its not cowardice, I know someone who was under a car when the trolley jack collapsed. Personally i position 1 axle stand adjacent to the trolley jack cup and 1 under suspension bushes, then if trolley jack does die you don't

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Good question!

The Saab handbook recommends the use of Axle stands, but doesn't tell you where to put them. Obviously, the rear Axle bar is fine for the rear of the car, but what about the front where most work occurs?

Saab specify only using jack supplied with car, but if Trolley Jack used, it must be applied to either the reinforced sub-frame for the engine, or under the reinforced member adjacent to the rear towrope attachment eye.

So, Axle stand could be applied to re-inforced engine subframe at front of car.

Jacking the car (by tyre fitters) can be a pain too. If they use a Trolley Jack on the standard side jack mounts, it can compress the flang which then prevents the car jack from fitting. Nice when you get a puncture by the side of the road! Jacking on the wishbone links to the wheels can also damage them. (VW Calibra's had a bad problem with this happening). So watch where the garage man sticks his jack! They should use the car jack if the need arises.

Any further suggestions on locating front Axle stands, and front Trolley Jacking points most appreciated.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I do all of my own maintenance and servicing and regularly use axle stands.
At the front I usually put the axle stand under the mounting for the rear bush on the control arm. You can also put them under the under the front subframe but won't get so much height under the car. At the rear, put the stands under the supension link front bush mountings or under the tow bar mount (but again you get less height there). DO NOT jack up the car or put axle stands under the beam axle.This is only a thin walled tube and is easliy bent which will bugger up the rear wheel camber.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.