Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to do a trip last night from mid devon to liverpool and back (got back a 5 this morning )

I kept it at 80-85 most of the way and tried to stay out of the boost zone.

My average MPG was 32.3
Does this seem too low to you.
Car is: '96 9000 CSE FPT with 143,000 on the clock

As far as the mpg indicator on the dash display is concerned i can do 90 and get the same mpg if on the flat? - this doesn't seem accurate.

I did forget to reset the trip so could not judge the actual milage but used nearly £60 of fuel (standard Unleaded)

Any comments or confirmation of the sort of mpg your getting

Thanks

Damian

PS I get about 24 MPG most of the time, just driving on lanes, A roads and town driving.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Yeh, spot on!

You may get up 2 or 3 mpg more in day time depending on how hot the air is though. Air temp makes a big difference to mpg, as illustrated in the user handbook (for my '97/98 edition).

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I'm prepared to bet that most of those readings are slightly optimistic- calibration of the trip computer mpg is rarely spot on when they leave the factory, and you can bet your life they'll make sure they're optimistic.

Anyway, I've calibrated my 93 2.3FPT (Abbott brain, might make a difference to economy).

Over a long mway journey at a steady 83 I get 31mpg, so you're not far out.

Mark

·
Registered
14,305 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Maybe a bit late on this thread, but for what its worth, I pretty much fill tank every time, i.e I put in 15 gallons in ( around 67-68 litres, and like to get around 330 max out of here) bearing in mind that i do "DRIVE" the car, using its power to full a fair bit, and mostly A roads, lanes and town driving, I think that works out to around 22-23 MPG. the MPG indicator is very close to this, maybe a bit optomistic, showing around the 24 MPG mark (measure over a LOT of tankfulls !!
Experimented over 200 miles of motorway recently, after re-setting the trip computers,I averaged around 32-33 MPG, this was keeping bettween 65 to 75 MPH for sake of testing. I suppose without mods,that sould be a bit nearer to 40 MPH ?

Cheers,
Andy
2.3 FPT

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I'd agree with the consensus too. I could get about 35mpg out of my CS 2.0LPT sticking to 70-75 on the motorway. The display is optimistic by a couple of mpg. If you could bear to travel at an average close to 60mph, you would see a lot closer to 40mpg. This is too painful for me, and I didn't buy a 9000 for it's economical prowess in the first place!

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Similar figures to my 9-5 2.3LPT. I find that the SID mpg is pretty well spot on.

Saab is more accurate than my old Rover 620 which over-read. This is a serious problem as it has reduced my expenses by 3 or4 %

1 - 14 of 14 Posts