Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there some wierd science to displaying an avatar pic. When I try & select one in my profile - it keeps disappearing.

I know I'm a bit thick but what am I missing?

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
This topic moved from Saab 9-5 Workshop to Customer Service desk. Reminder to all - please post in the appropriate forum - helps people answer your question and keeps some order on the place.

Note, plenty of topics relating to avatars in the Customer Service desk forum. Try a search. (IIRC, there is a button you need to click to set the avatar).

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Under my profile- edit profile choose the "select a different Aatar Image" option.

There you have the choice of a number of preset avatars or to provide the URL of your own avatar. Make sure you click the "set URL" and "Select this Avatar" buttons.

HTH

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bubbles,

I've don all that, picked a stock one from the list but the window doesn't close to bring me bak to the update profile button. I can go to that screen myself but then it doesn't seem to keep my image

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have been having the same problem for ages. I just gave up in the end. I tried a stock image, too, but just wouldn't take me back to my profile page or show an URL for the image I chose.
If there is a way, it would be nice to know.

Ta!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks John,

I have an image but I need a URL link to post it on so that I can choose it for my Avatar image. I assume this is what you do?

Andrew in Oxford - I thought it was just me who couldn't do it - glad to find one in similar position, hopefully we can sort it out.

/John can you help?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Andrew in Oxford:
[qb]I have been having the same problem for ages. I just gave up in the end. I tried a stock image, too, but just wouldn't take me back to my profile page or show an URL for the image I chose.
[/qb][/b]
Andrew - user error or computer error on your part, I'm afraid. I have just successfully changed my avatar - so the system is working ok. The problem must lie at your end somewhere.

Without knowing what you are doing wrong it is difficult to advise.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Green Saab:
[qb]I have an image but I need a URL link to post it on so that I can choose it for my Avatar image. I assume this is what you do?[/qb][/b]
So, what were you doing when you originally asked the question if you were not entering the URL of the image

Stick an image on www.saabphotos.com - use the thumbnail size image, NOT a full size image. Please observe the guidelines for filesizes on avatars.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Go to "My Profile"
Go to "Edit Profile"
Click "Select a different Avatar Image"

For your own avatar

Paste the URL of the avatar image
Click "Set URL" button - this displays your image
Click "Select this avatar" button to keep this image.

For a stock avatar

Select an avatar image
Click "Select this avatar" button to keep this image.

Please observe guidelines on image sizes otherwise your image takes ages to download and upsets dialup users. Any oversize images may be removed.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I tried it again & it works for some stock pictures and not others. I'll tinker with it tonight to get my proper picture
   Originally posted by /John
So, what were you doing when you originally asked the question if you were not entering the URL of the image  [/b]
/John you may think I'm stupid but I'm not. I was originally trying it with one of the stock photo's for Avatars. The only difference I tried this time was to pick an image from the first page rather than the 4th one which still doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for the advice however I will play about & post my own photo onto the website so I can display it

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Green Saab:
[qb]/John you may think I'm stupid but I'm not.[/qb][/b]
No, I was just trying to establish what you were doing since what you were saying seemed to be contradictory. As such, I could not be sure I was answering your question,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts