Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Liam L:
[qb]Has anyone taken a 9000 auto on a trackday, and was it any good?[/qb][/b]
I haven't, but I can't imagine it being total cr4p. Personally, I prefer that little bit of extra control the manual 'box gives you and I can imagine the auto changing up as you lift off approaching corners and back down when you power out, which might require some different cornering techniques to driving a manual. I hardly leave 3rd gear all the way round Goodwood, except on the straights where I have to change into 4th at 110mph.

I would have thought that any suspension mods should work equally well on an auto as on a manual.

Dunno about straight-line performance of a 2.0T auto, but on the recent track day that tandino and I attended, there were all sorts of cars - the guy in the old beaten-up Montego Estate seemed to be having a whale of a time, and your car is bound to be quicker than that. As long as you have enough power that you have to slow down a bit for the corners, which you will, I think you'll find it challenging enough to be fun.

There's always someone faster and if I were worried about that, I'd be dumping the Aero and proposing marriage to that woman in the Porsche who seemed to be the quickest there that day

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best get me suspension and brakes sorted quick then , any idea when the next trackday with a Saabscene membership presence is likely to be?

old beaten-up Montego Estate  [/b]
Wouldn't matter if he wrapped it I suppose

Did you get the Porsche girls number Bill?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Liam L:
[qb]Did you get the Porsche girls number Bill?[/qb][/b]
No, but tandino might have. I know he was thinking of asking her for a ride (ooh-err, missus).

I don't know of any more now until next year. March, I think. I'll look up the details.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Driving an auto on a track day shouldnt be a problem, plenty do it with other makes, so, why not a Saab.

I would say though that it would be preferable to manually shift the auto box on a track day, thereby giving the driver the control over engine speed/gear selection that he/she deems neccessary for the conditions. This will also help your braking, auto's being naturally harder on brakes than manuals....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps you should get a Montego estate for trackdays Jason, my dad had a turbo diesel one, quite nippy mid range

3rd gear on mine goes up to 80mph, and with bigger wheels would be a bit higher still (its on the standard 15" at the moment), should be OK for most corners I would think, leaving D for the straight bits.

Its either that or swap the box for a manual one.....

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I've been thinking about this one too.. now that my 9000 2.3 T auto is sorted...

I wonder how it will be..

I think I'd really miss engine braking and the slightly unpredicatble shift pattern would worry me... particularly in the wet. Not to mention, it would be hard on the auto-box.

But it might be fun to find out.. I suppose the first Nurburgring track day will be around March/April next year...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.