Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend in the US has just had the valve set on his autobox repaired with a new gasket and stuff which hags done wonders for the gearshift on a 178K box.

So I was wondering - how hard is this to do? or is it a pay a garage style job and if so would it be expensive?

Steve

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Good question, Stephen.
I'd be glad to see a response to this question too.

I know that some autoboxes have an cover-plate to enable access to the valve units, which enables replacement (etc) without need to remove autobox.

Does anyone know if this is tru of the standard Saab ZF autoboxes?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thats what Jeff here in Maine had done - they replaced several bits and put in lube-guard and once they replaced the gasket that they had torn it was much better - and I must admit that driving round it in yesterday you would not have known the box has that sort of milage on it.. its pretty much silent when it changes (none of that odd whining) and the changes are positive but smooth.

And thats the reason I asked if anyone knew how big a job it was as Jeff just took his to his local garage who did the work but didn't seem to indicate how difficult it was.

Steve

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Billy,

Thanks for usefull link/info.

I notice from the following Townsend page, that there was a Saab recall/fix available for harsh/poor autobox changes between 3rd and 4th..:

http://68.18.144.120/transmission_folder/hard3-49ksb.htm

I have this but only when gearbox oil is cold on UK winter days (e.g. below 8C). Problem hasn't got worse in the 4 years I had car, and resent autobox oil change has reduced the occurance somewhat.

Does anyone know:

1) if there is a UK dealer fix for this?
2) If the problem and townsend procedure, which states up to 1991 models, apply to later models? My car/autobox is 1997/8.

B-regards,
Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.