Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Don't know where to start on the search of the forum as I don't know what the problem is. This morning while getting on the A38 sliproad, I accelerated (I had to kickdown as the traffic was roaring by) and the engine stuttered. I eased off and accelerated smoothly and it seemed to pick up. So I thought I would pull out into traffic and accelerate and it did the same thing again. After this the rest of the 70 mile journey it was fine. I have put down autobox problems in the subject heading as it appears to be holding on to the gears right the way to the start of the red line. Seems normal to me but the saab indie does not agree.

PS 2.0 LPT Auto (1992)...no turbo gauge!!!..FSH and autobox oil changed within last 12 months. I had the same problem on the 9-5, but the problem dissappeared. I love my 9K more than the 9-5 so please help.

·
Registered
172 Posts
When you say it is holding up to the red is this when the throttle is fully depressed? If so then it is more than likely it is the DI. However on 3/4 throttle the box should change gear well below the red line. If this is the case it is more likely the kick down cable as this not only affects the kick down ability but also the when the box actually changes when not using full throttle.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Was it a cool, damp morning and the car not yet fully warmed up? If it was, then I'd check and clean the air flow meter. Dirt on the heated wire element can really mess up the meter when it's damp. Remove meter from air line. Do NOT try to open it. Spray contact cleaner (or any other cleaner leaving no deposit) through the air flow meter from both ends. Leave to dry and reach room temperature (to avoid condensation problems). Re-fit to cold car and test.
Cheap, quick and easy, even if this is not the problem!!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
If you follow the air inlet pipe from the passengerside wing you should see that it has a large connector on it - that peice of the pipe contains the AMM. Undo the large screw clips at either end of the section of pipe and gently remove the connecting sections. The AMM section is about 6 inches long and has a grill at either end. In the middle you should see something that looks similar to a light bulb filament Spray cleaner (carb cleaner is good but keep it away from your paintwork) through the grill and aim at the filament area.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.