Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my attention is now on the 9000SE '87 model (FPT) which has been 'resting' on the drive for the past 2 years owing to demise of the autobox! My summer (hopefully) project is to rebuild the auto tranny myself, parts are not a problem but suggestions are welcome on the following:
1. What is the best way to drop and pull out the tranny with the engine remaining in the car?
2. Are any 'special' tools required to tinker with the tranny internals?
3. Does anyone have access to the tranny service manual or some similar technical literature?
4. Will I be wasting my time?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
From below, borrow a pit! drop the passenger (left from in the car) side suspension, brace/engine hoist the engine to stop it dropping (gearbox is the 3rd engine mount), and use a haltrack or other light winch to drop down the box.

2. Yes

3. Not really

4. Probably not. Either way it will be fun (from someone who only did the manual box (2 months ago)).

Andrew

·
Registered
102 Posts
I rebuilt my 300zx auto box last year . . . mainly because everyone told me it was too complicated to DIY (I love a challenge ).

It really wasn't that hard, main problem was getting the parts - but you say you've got that sorted.
You'll need some spring compressors which are probably best to make yourself. I also had the benefit of a good workshop manual.

I've got a video you can borrow if you like. It goes through a rear-wheel-drive autobox rebuild but I'm sure you'd get some handy tips from it.

Gadgeteer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.