Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody.

Today I bought a saab 9000i, 1988 on an E plate. Slightly dissapointed thats its slow compared to a 2.3 FPT but hey.The beast cost me 25 quid so I can't complain. It was amusing driving it at first though.

I have got most things working today, like dodgy electric's, funny idle and so on.

But I have an auto box problem. Basically theres no oil in it. Now the Saab car manual doesn't say how to fill it, just the grade and capacity. So do I just pour some Dexron 2 ATF down the dip stick tube or what?

The only other major problem is the front offside suspension. The spring has gone off the seat completely so its running on the bumpstops. I have to say the handling is superb and theres no body roll but its not exactly going to do the bodyshell any favours.

Chris

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, Chris.

If it's like my '96, then yes, just stick a funnel in the dipstick tube and pour the ATF in. Remember to follow the procedure in the manual to measure the level - it has to be done with the engine running and the manual says to do some shuffling between gears before you pull the dipstick. I can't quite remember the details at the moment.

A 9000 for £25? Excellent value. However, when you say the spring has come off the seat, do you mean the seat has collapsed? A new pair of shocks will probably offset the savings you've made on the rest of the car to an extent.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Bill.

I done the gear shuffle trick, the manual says get the engine up to temp, leave it in P or N at idle then check the level. I selected all gears then let it idle and check it. Theres a little dribble right at the end of the stick about 1mm thick. Not to clever!

Had a quick gander at the strut. At first I though the seat had gone bye bye, but on a closer look the seats still there and the springs has slipped down, maybe the wrong spring was fitted. I have plenty of springs kicking around (all be it for renaults) whcih will do the job if I get desperate.

It was fun driving it as the car had been sitting, no brakes etc and the owner was scared when I took it over 30mph. Anyway the 30 mile trip home was taken with ease and got it up to over a ton and a lot of heavy braking sessions have sorted out the brakes, all 4 wheels now lock (in the wet right enough).

Got a bargin, he stuck 30 quids worth of petrol in before I bought it, 4 new decetn tyres and 6 months ago new centre and rear exhaust sections. Although the downpipes knackered.

Rusts the main prob though, mostly cosmetic thankfully. And the engine bays covered in oil.

Chris

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Chris H:
[qb]Is dexron 3 compatible with Dexron 2 boxes?[/qb][/b]
I believe it will say somewhere on the container that it is suitable for all applications for which Dexron II is specified.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked but it was useless, just listed off a lot of ford transmissions and a few volvos.

I will get some and stick it in if it goes pop well thats the way it goes.

Chris

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Just to let you know Chris, Dexron III is just the replacement for Dexron II, don't think you can buy Dexron II anymore. It'll run no probs, mines been on it for over a year, poss more depending on what previous owners had in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.