Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
9000 CSE 93 non-turbo

I have a problem with my auto gearbox. It works fine in D,1,2,3,4 but when I try to do "R" all the car moves like a "shock", for a short moment.

The story is sad story. I had to change the upper side of the motor (I don´t know the piece in english) and then the mechanical guy disconnected the kickdown cable.

When I got the car, I noticed something strange in the gearbox -the kickdown was not working-.

I have to say that at that time I didn´t know anything about cars. Now I have the haynes manual, I have another CSE for spares, I know how to dissasamble re-assamble all the interior of the car, and I know many things, begins to know about engines, all because this car makes me feel well.

Well, I proceed with my explanation. At that point I go to the guy and he "didn´t notice that the problem was in the kickdown cable and open the valve body and manipulate it"

The result: When I tried to shift into D or R, all the car shocked.

I was...

I went again and he, opened the valve body, manipulated it again and now this "shock" only ocurrs when I try to go into "R"

Looking in the forums I founded that the question was in the kickdown cable and had to say him¡¡

The question:

1. Should I try to open the valve body by myself and try to change the famous "accumulator springs".
2. The car works fine, but Should I go to the ZF official workshop and invest in an expensive "rebuilding" of the box, when it seems to be a problem of assembling, reassembling, or springs (The mechanical guy did not open the box, only the valve body)

Greetings
AlbertoT

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Alberto

As nothing else has been worked on round the gearbox apart from the kick down cable i would agree with you that the problem lies in the valve body which I guess has got damaged when he had it open.

As far as I know replacing the valve springs is not a hard thing to do, and if you have a local ZF dealer then at least you know where to get the replacements from. If you dont want to do it yourself then maybe the ZF place can recommend a good engineer for you.

Please let us know how you get on

Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you StephenA for your ideas.

The problem is when I "engage" the transmission, which I think is different thing than the gearbox itself, which works (very good) -except... when I try to go "R".

If I go to the saab dealer, they say I have to go ZF.

In ZF they say me they have to do an exhaustive check, opening the box... etc

I´ll try to go again and explain to ZF one more time that what I want is to look for that specific question: "Engaging the transmission", not opening all the box.

Now when I go into "D" the car moves now without any shock, but my feelings are not the same than before when the car initiates the movement.

Maybe the gut manipulated the selector cable. What about it? Can you change the rpm you need to shift? Maybe this cable adjustment have relation with the transmission?

I will ask this to the guy and I´ll let you know

Greetings
AlbertoT

·
Registered
60 Posts
AlbertoT, If your auto gearbox was shifting properly before the engine removal, then the most likely problem is the adjustment of kickdown cable. There should be no cable slack at full open throttle position. SAAB has a tool for adjustment. It can be done without a tool:

1. Remove air intake duct from throttle body so you can see inside.
2. Loosen the nut on the kickdown cable and pull the cable sleeve (not the cable itself) down until throttle is fully open.
3. Tighten the cable slleve stop nut while holding it in wide open throttle position.
4. Reconnect air intake duct. There should be 2mm between the end of the sleeve and the small metal stop on the cable when gas pedal is not pressed.

Test the shifting now. You may have to readjust the cable position up or down, but move it 1mm at a time (each mm can make a big change).
The other alternative is to take it to a dealer to adjust properly with the tool.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Leon for your ideas.
I´ll take it into consideration.
I´ve gone to ZF and they said me that in January I have to come back and they will see what happen. I´ll tell them that first they must see first the adjustment of the cable, then test the car, maybe this way the problem is solved.

I´ll let you know guys because maybe one user can have the same problem and in this way find the solution before.

Greetings
AlbertoT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.